Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part I

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
My perception of Miles. This was here a few years back still resonates with me. :D

View attachment 870599
Miles Wood will forever be Luis Mendoza to me.

GIF.gif

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
oh i’ve seen plenty of that. ‘don’t trade 10OA for a 30 year old goalie’. as if we should be getting a young goalie we can grow into vs an established guy who can easily get this team to a playoff spot.

your position seems reasonable though.
What 30 year old goalie nets a top ten pick?

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Point wasn’t a consensus late 1st Rd pick.

If you go to MyNHLDraft.com they have 13 different Top 30 lists.
link (this website is mess fyi)

3 lists had him in their Top 30:
TSN: Craig Button #17
ESPN: Cory Pronman #25
THW/ Next Ones: Christopher Ralph #29

And 10 lists didn’t:
Bob McKenzie
ISS
THN
McKeen’s Hockey
Hockey Prospect
Future Considerations
Dobber: Brendon Ross
THW/ War Room: Eldon McDonald
THN: Ryan Kennedy
Central Scouting NA Skaters

The links to the 2014 McKenzie list on TSN are dead but I went to ridiculous lengths to dig this up lol. (The Wayback Machine is a pain in the ass.)

But here’s his rankings: (he had 1-60 plus 5 HM)
View attachment 870483

And grabbed this too:
View attachment 870484

I do like to, uh, point out that Tampa drafted 3 guys before grabbing Point.

They risked not getting him by grabbing Jonathan MacLeod first. (Who was #56 on Bob’s list.)
View attachment 870485

A similar thing happened in 2014 with Cirelli. The benefit of having extra picks.
View attachment 870486

Great minds think a like.

I was going to specifically pitch him to @My3Sons because if you want a guy who makes borderline hits, and gets occasionally suspended for them, he’s your psycho.
When I will be dead and someone will write "he was a good man" on my grave, I believe you will find a couple of my quotes to argue with "good man" statement.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
I've long been a believer in skill winning and I still do but I do not think we have the right mix. We need some functional toughness (players that can play a tough, physical grinding game, while also being positive in terms of puck possession).

I do not like our chances against a team like Florida at all, even if we were healthy.

Reactions: My3Sons

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
I hate to do this but I think both sides are talking around one another. Obviously 'hitting more' all else being equal is going to be a symptom of having the puck less, but it is hockey and so there will be times you won't have the puck. The thing that was missing from the Devils' game but especially during the 2nd half of the season was any sort of forecheck pressure/long shifts in the opposition's zone. This combined with meh to bad neutral zone play meant that too often the puck was in the Devils' end.

The Devils could use more players who excel at boardwork/breaking up the opposition's breakout along their boards. These sorts of players tend to also hit people, but not overly so - think Ondrej Palat, who averages more than a hit a game but not much more.
I largely agree with this.

Playoffs are a different beast than the regular season. The way goals are scored changes as well, and you could very well see less rush chances and more chances needing to be generated off the cycle.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
What 30 year old goalie nets a top ten pick?

Closest I can think of in recent memory was Nashville trading Tomas Vokoun to Florida at the 2007 Draft. Vokoun would turn 31 a couple weeks later. Trade was for a late 2007 2nd rounder and 2008 1st+2nd rounders. Florida was picking 10th in 2007, so they were probably thinking Vokoun would help them towards a playoff push. But the 2008 1st would end up being 9th overall.

Vokoun had signed a four year extension in September 2006, so it looks like Nashville dealt him right before his NMC kicked in. On paper it seemed like a nice move for Nashville but it only netted them Colin Wilson and Nick Spaling.

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
P
Closest I can think of in recent memory was Nashville trading Tomas Vokoun to Florida at the 2007 Draft. Vokoun would turn 31 a couple weeks later. Trade was for a late 2007 2nd rounder and 2008 1st+2nd rounders. Florida was picking 10th in 2007, so they were probably thinking Vokoun would help them towards a playoff push. But the 2008 1st would end up being 9th overall.

Vokoun had signed a four year extension in September 2006, so it looks like Nashville dealt him right before his NMC kicked in. On paper it seemed like a nice move for Nashville but it only netted them Colin Wilson and Nick Spaling.
Proves the point trade wasn't worth it and Nashville if they had picked Erik Karlsson would have made it look completely stupid....Imo not worth it at least Schneider was young and provided some really good years but in the end he's done and Horvat will play another 6 or 7 years .....Better to make the pick at 10 hopefully the right one....

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
P

Proves the point trade wasn't worth it and Nashville if they had picked Erik Karlsson would have made it look completely stupid....Imo not worth it at least Schneider was young and provided some really good years but in the end he's done and Horvat will play another 6 or 7 years .....Better to make the pick at 10 hopefully the right one....
Rumors at the time were that the Devils wanted Max Domi if they kept the pick. I take the Schneider for Domi swap 10 times out of 10.

They weren’t taking Horvat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad