Brad Treliving is doing a great job.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
We are going to rue Treliving not flipping Marner last year, before his NMC kicked in. He easily could have done it.

What could the return have looked like from a team acquiring Marner for 2 years, compared to them being completely hamstrung right now?

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
We are going to rue Treliving not flipping Marner last year, before his NMC kicked in. He easily could have done it.

What could the return have looked like from a team acquiring Marner for 2 years, compared to them being completely hamstrung right now?
I can’t blame Treliving for that.
It should have been done during multiple past failures along with coaching.
Doubt Tre is going to walk in to a brand new job and say, hey Shanny, guess what I did?

Shanahan tried to duct tape it together too long.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I can’t blame Treliving for that.
Why not?

He was the man in charge last summer and had plenty of time between him taking over and Marner's NMC kicking in, to get something done.

Plenty of blame to go around, but Treliving wears it too. If you're going to fire Keefe for the "larger body of work" you're evaluating, you can do the same with Marner.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Why not?

He was the man in charge last summer and had plenty of time between him taking over and Marner's NMC kicking in, to get something done.

Plenty of blame to go around, but Treliving wears it too. If you're going to fire Keefe for the "larger body of work" you're evaluating, you can do the same with Marner.
Because I have no doubt that Shanahan is the guy in charge of the core.
He only seemed to be open to it this year when a higher position employee was sitting beside him. The first time in 10 years.

I believe Tre was mandated to whatever he wanted except…

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Because I have no doubt that Shanahan is the guy in charge of the core.
He only seemed to be open to it this year when a higher position employee was sitting beside him. The first time in 10 years.

I believe Tre was mandated to whatever he wanted except…
Treliving shopped Nylander last summer - he had the power to break up the core.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
We are going to rue Treliving not flipping Marner last year, before his NMC kicked in.

He was on the job for a month.

He easily could have done it.

Oh really? And you're basing that on your vast experience as an NHL GM are you?

You desperately need to learn that your opinion is not fact.

Why not?

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Reactions: Jmo89

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
He was on the job for a month.
It took Treliving FIVE DAYS to trade Matthew Tkachuk to Florida after being informed the player wouldn't extend in Calgary.

A MONTH is an eternity in comparison - and in that month, they dangled Nylander for a Dman.

So this idea that Treliving was somehow "too new" on the job to make a trade, is ridiculous nonsense.

Reactions: ACC1224

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Why not?

Such a reach.

It took Treliving FIVE DAYS to trade Matthew Tkachuk to Florida after being informed the player wouldn't extend in Calgary.

A MONTH is an eternity in comparison - and in that month, they dangled Nylander for a Dman.

So this idea that Treliving was somehow "too new" on the job to make a trade, is ridiculous nonsense.
Was he new to the organization in Calgary? Come on.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015

Marner still has a contract for the upcoming season though, while the same could not have been said about Tkachuk at the time. I believe Keefe was fired because the team did not advance in the playoffs this year (which is also why it wouldn't have made as much sense to make a blockbuster trade after last season's comparative "success"). I also can't imagine that trade talk involving Nylander advanced to a meaningful stage since they ended up signing him to a max term contract with a full NMC.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Was he new to the organization in Calgary? Come on.
He went straight from Calgary GM, to Toronto GM - meaning it's reasonable to expect that he would have been aware of the landscape of the league, and what teams were thinking.

Let's stop pretending he'd been out of work for 5 years and needed some time to get upto speed.

Again - a ridiculous notion. If he was trying, and willing, to move Nylander, he was able to move Marner.

Marner still has a contract for the upcoming season though, while the same could not have been said about Tkachuk at the time. I believe Keefe was fired because the team did not advance in the playoffs this year (which is also why it wouldn't have made as much sense to make a blockbuster trade after last season's comparative "success"). I also can't imagine that trade talk involving Nylander advanced to a meaningful stage since they ended up signing him to a max term contract with a full NMC.
Friedman said they had Nylander out there, looking for a Dman - they didn't like the offers, so they went the extension route.

Fact that he was willing to move on, but not the other despite the NMC looming, is remarkably shortsighted. He had the opportunity to do so, and we need to stop pretending like he didn't

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
Why not?

It's been said Shanny vetoed Dubas on several trades. Dubas said last year before being let go that he was open to anything regarding changing the team ,including breaking up the core. From what was rumored, that was likely one of the reasons Dubas and Shanny parted ways. They likely didn't see eye to eye and Dubas wanted more autonomy. Tre was likely told by Shanny, that he wasn't to move Marner

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018

And you guys bitch and complain about the return on that trade. He probably thought, shit, I should take longer than FIVE DAYS this time.

• Haha
Reactions: Tak7

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
It's been said Shanny vetoed Dubas on several trades. Dubas said last year before being let go that he was open to anything regarding changing the team ,including breaking up the core. From what was rumored, that was likely one of the reasons Dubas and Shanny parted ways. They likely didn't see eye to eye and Dubas wanted more autonomy. Tre was likely told by Shanny, that he wasn't to move Marner
While I agree entirely that this was one of the many reasons why Dubas was let go, we know that they were willing to move Nylander as soon as Tre showed up, provided they got a top Dman back in return, which they couldn't find.

That suggests they weren't married to keeping the core together for another run this year.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
And you guys bitch and complain about the return on that trade. He probably thought, shit, I should take longer than FIVE DAYS this time.

30 days is longer than 5 days...

Regardless, I don't blame Treliving for that, I blame Shanny for being an emotional child and making a rash decision on the GM position.

Treliving also could have traded Marner, he had time.

But trading Marner and ending with a 1st round exit or not making the playoffs is potentially a fireable offense, so I don't blame him.

I also question if he'd be allowed to.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

The return was fine, signing Huberdeau to a massive extension before playing a game and trading a 1st to dump Monahan so they could sign Kadri to a retirement contract was the problem. 1st + Weegar + return from flipping Huberdeau + keep the 1st trading away Monahan + 1st for selling Monahan would have been a tidy retool year.

Even if ownership didn’t want him to rebuild, Weegar + whatever prime aged assets 4 1sts gets you is probably better than what ended up happening.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Then take longer than five days?

He had 30 of them.

You may also want to revisit that trade - Treliving was universally praised for pulling off that sort of return. The reason it's heavily criticized now isn't the assets he got back, but the contracts he handed out to them once they arrived which aren't commensurate to their production.

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
Then take longer than five days?

He had 30 of them.

You may also want to revisit that trade - Treliving was universally praised for pulling off that sort of return. The reason it's heavily criticized now isn't the assets he got back, but the contracts he handed out to them once they arrived which aren't commensurate to their production.
Tak are you Jonas Siegel or James mirtle? Everything you are saying I heard on the leaf report.

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
Haha - I enjoy listening to them, but no, I haven't tuned into Leaf Report since the game 7 episode.
You should listen it’s been good content. I’ve been on the fence with those guys lately but they put some solid stuff together recently.

Reactions: Tak7

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad