Blues 2024 Off-Season Trade Proposals Thread

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Buch and our 3rd to MTL for 5th pick. MTL needs/wants a forward and can't be a young team forever. Need a veteran guy at some point. Doubt this even happens though
I don’t think there’s any chance a winger (albeit a very good one) who’s 29 and needs an extension gets you into the top 5. You probably also need to include the Blues first to make it more appetizing, the 3rd is basically nothing. It’d be excellent for the Blues but a disaster for Montreal.

AyeBah

Apr 5, 2019
I don’t think there’s any chance a winger (albeit a very good one) who’s 29 and needs an extension gets you into the top 5. You probably also need to include the Blues first to make it more appetizing, the 3rd is basically nothing. It’d be excellent for the Blues but a disaster for Montreal.
DeBrincat went for picks 7 and 39 and although he had an extra year of control I'd argue Buch is the better player

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
DeBrincat went for picks 7 and 39 and although he had an extra year of control I'd argue Buch is the better player
He was also 24 years old coming off a 41 goal season and still had arbitration rights. Not really apples to apples to a 29 year old coming off a so-so season looking for what is likely his last chance at a big payday.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017

I wouldn't trade our #16 pick for a player on Buch's level unless he came with an extension. No way Montreal does it for #5. And I'm a big Buchy fan. The ultimate question is what does he want? Is he determined to become UFA or not?

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
True instead of trying to trade Kyrou the focus should be on Krug. Moreso in finding a team that he would be willing to waive to. I know Detroit has been mentioned in the past but their core seems pretty locked with Edvinsson pushing for NHL time next year. Maybe someone like Minnesota? I feel like they could use a offensive defenseman on the left side. Lastly, maybe he would waive to go to Pittsburg and play with Crosby? They definitely need to add some players to the back end. Would you be willing to a swap for Graves? I know he has two extra years on Krug at 2 mil less per year but in a bottom four shutdown role he could be effective, just needs a change of scenery?

Why would Pittsburgh even consider this? They have both of Letang and Karlsson there.

Letang is out for finger surgery right now, but I believe the recovery timeline is 8 weeks?

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
How about just sign Zadorov to play with Parayko? I’d give my left nut for him.

Zadorov has been pretty good for Vancouver, I think there's going to be a pretty good attempt at retaining him once VAN is eliminated from the post season.

The only dmen under contract past this year are Hughes, Soucy and Juulsen (6/7 guy). Hronek as an RFA is highly unlikely to be allowed to leave, especially considering the acquisition cost last year.

Myers is 34. 6m x 5 contract ending
Cole is 35. 3m x 1 contract ending

I'd expect them to come back cheaper or be replaced with UFAs and VAN has ~24m in cap space to fill 9 spots. Potential for Jett Woo to audition in training cap for a 5/6 role.

Lindholm and Joshua are the only forwards that might be worth trying to retain. Everyone else is due minimal raises or can probably be replaced internally or via free agency.

Reactions: Mike Liut

greybush314

Dec 23, 2020
Buch to a contender for a 1st and an NHL ready prospect

Kyrou , Hofer , 2 1st, said prospect, Blues prospect not Snuggerud or Dvorsky

for
Brady Tkachuk and Jacob Chychrun(signed to an extension)

Sign 2nd line center like Lindholm, Monohan, Stephenson or Duchene. Can move to 3rd line center eventually when Dvorsky is ready for top 6 role and contract will be off the books when we need to hypothetically extend Dvorsky.

Offer both Krug and Faulk to teams at 50% retained. If they both refuse buy one out. If you can trade just one it's okay.

Tkachuk-Thomas-Bolduc
Neighbours-FA center-?????
Schenn-Dvorsky-Saad
Walker-Hayes-Toropchenko

Chychrun-Parayko
Leddy-Kessel
Tucker-Perunovich
Vet 7th d or Krug/Faulk

Left 2nd line RW open because I think it's reserved for Snuggerud and Sylvegård maybe the filler. I am expecting Dvorsky to make the team. Maybe able to find a cheap upgrade for Kessel with a 2nd rounder if we can move both Faulk and Krug.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I do not understand the continued obsession with Ottawa’s #3 d-man on this board. And he didn’t even do particularly well in that role either!

He had minimal appeal to me when he had a few years left on a relatively cheap deal. Now with only 1 left and due a pretty big raise? No interest at all.

Last edited:

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I feel like Chychrun's impact would be similar to Faulk. He shouldn't be on a shutdown pair, and offensively he isn't enough of a producer to just his cost.

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL

for

Sign 2nd line center like Lindholm, Monohan, Stephenson or Duchene. Can move to 3rd line center eventually when Dvorsky is ready for top 6 role and contract will be off the books when we need to hypothetically extend Dvorsky.

Offer both Krug and Faulk to teams at 50% retained. If they both refuse buy one out. If you can trade just one it's okay.

Tkachuk-Thomas-Bolduc
Schenn-Dvorsky-Saad
Walker-Hayes-Toropchenko

Chychrun-Parayko
Leddy-Kessel
Tucker-Perunovich
Vet 7th d or Krug/Faulk

Left 2nd line RW open because I think it's reserved for Snuggerud and Sylvegård maybe the filler. I am expecting Dvorsky to make the team. Maybe able to find a cheap upgrade for Kessel with a 2nd rounder if we can move both Faulk and Krug.
Pretty bad trade with Ottawa and thats not even mentioning that Brady is not even available in the first place so its a moot point. Also that third pairing on D would get eaten alive over the course of a season, I feel like Leddy Kessel 2nd pairing would get caved in pretty good as well.

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
Wondering what Binnington could fetch in a trade this summer. 3 years left on his deal at a pretty team friendly 6M per.

If we are waiving the white flag already for next year and probably the year after, I am curious what kind of offers would be out there. Would be options in UFA to split starts with Hofer.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
If we're getting a player like Tkachuk and Chychrun it's gonna have to be an overpay.

Then don't get those players. That's a huge overpay for two over-rated players with not a ton of term.

Tkachuk is better but Kyrou has 3 more years. I prefer Kyrou due to contract length, but even at a wash or a edge to Tkachuk, it nuts. That still leaves 4 1sts (2 picks and 2 1st round equivilant prospects)and Hofer for 1 year of an injury prone Chychrun. Insane.

LogosBlue

May 16, 2018
I completely disagree with this logic. 29 is primetime for NHL players. Buch with a year left could definitely land the #5 from Montreal. It may take our 2nd instead of our 3rd but this is not outside the realm of possibility. I think it would be good value both ways and we could draft a legit #2 D with that pick.

for

Tkachuk-Thomas-Bolduc
Schenn-Dvorsky-Saad
Walker-Hayes-Toropchenko

Chychrun-Parayko
Leddy-Kessel
Tucker-Perunovich
Vet 7th d or Krug/Faulk

Hell to the NO!!

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I completely disagree with this logic. 29 is primetime for NHL players. Buch with a year left could definitely land the #5 from Montreal. It may take our 2nd instead of our 3rd but this is not outside the realm of possibility. I think it would be good value both ways and we could draft a legit #2 D with that pick.
It is? My understanding is most forwards peak around 23-26. I hate to break it to you but we’ve probably already seen the best of Buch. D-men peak later but that’s not what we’re talking about here.

If the Blues were in a position of buying, I’d consider the #16 pick a bit of an overpay for a player like Buch with 1 year left. 5th overall? No way.

greybush314

Dec 23, 2020
Then don't get those players. That's a huge overpay for two over-rated players with not a ton of term.

Tkachuk is better but Kyrou has 3 more years. I prefer Kyrou due to contract length, but even at a wash or a edge to Tkachuk, it nuts. That still leaves 4 1sts (2 picks and 2 1st round equivilant prospects)and Hofer for 1 year of an injury prone Chychrun. Insane.
Maybe it is a bit of an overpay but take away one piece at best. It's absolutely laughable to say Tkachuk and Kyrou would be a wash. Tkachuk is just as good, if not better, scorer than Kyrou and also is better defensively as well as one of the most physical players in the game. Tkachuk also takes a bunchbof faceoffs and wins a majority. Chychrun has had issues staying healthy in the past but played 82 games this year. And he's better than his numbers suggest last year. I also think he's a perfect pairing for Parayko.

Reactions: Reality Czech

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
Maybe it is a bit of an overpay but take away one piece at best. It's absolutely laughable to say Tkachuk and Kyrou would be a wash. Tkachuk is just as good, if not better, scorer than Kyrou and also is better defensively as well as one of the most physical players in the game. Tkachuk also takes a bunchbof faceoffs and wins a majority. Chychrun has had issues staying healthy in the past but played 82 games this year. And he's better than his numbers suggest last year. I also think he's a perfect pairing for Parayko.
Tkachuk is not better defensively than Kyrou, he is more physical sure but not better defensively at all

Reactions: The Electrician

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017

Not to mention the fact that Tkachuk is a leader and as tenacious of a competitior as there is, while Kyrou is more of a passive, follower type. But the proposed trade is absurd for numerous reasons. But if Tkachuk ever wants out of Ottawa, I would love to see him wear the Blue note.

AyeBah

Apr 5, 2019
Debrincat was much younger and was an RFA at the end of his contract with 2 40 goal campaigns and a 30 goal campaign.
Playing next to Kane and being a 5'8 black hole defensively yes. Look at his stretch this year of 4 goals 5v5 in 50 games. In a playoff series you're taking Buch 10/10 times.
He was also 24 years old coming off a 41 goal season and still had arbitration rights. Not really apples to apples to a 29 year old coming off a so-so season looking for what is likely his last chance at a big payday.
I get the term argument but if Buchy was a sign and trade or told MTL he would negotiate an extension I don't think 5 is some unfair deal in this draft. Have seen much worse trades made by real GMs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad