Around the NHL - (Playoffs Edition)

duckaroosky

So sayeth Duckthulu
May 26, 2009
Long Beach, Ca
I commonly see people complaining about food from various places, do people actually care?
It's more the point of when you're taking a song from a certain culture but don't really have representation of the culture that makes me raise my eyebrows a bit.

At the end of the day it is just a song so I'm not gonna start screaming about appropriation but I'm still gonna make some side eyed looks to my friends when a bunch of white people are singing a mexican song and have zero understanding of the history associated with it and only like it because some kid also liked it.

In Tennessee we have this great authentic Mexican food place called Taco Bell. You should try it.
giphy.gif

Jk
I dabble in Taco Bell sometimes as well.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Sure, although Verbeek is still working through the supply that Murray left him.

I was the same way; once the Ducks were gone, I didn't care. Now I can watch whatever and usually enjoy it. I just miss that rush of excitement sitting down to watch my favorite team play playoff hockey. There's nothing quite like it.
I hear ya bro. :thumbu: :nod:

la patineuse

Aug 21, 2010
In Tennessee we have this great authentic Mexican food place called Taco Bell. You should try it.

OT: There is a great episode of David Chang's Ugly Delicious series on Netflix that is all about tacos. One of the contributors to the episode, Gustavo Arellano (who is a columnist for the LA Times), traces the origins of the Taco Bell taco to San Bernardino where George Bell had a restaurant across the street from a Mexican restaurant called the Mitla Cafe which was known for its hard-shelled taco. Bell tried to reverse engineer how their tacos were made and he then adapted/ripped off their tacos and sold his mass-produced version that would become the foundation for his Taco Bell franchises. Chang, Arellano, the late Jonathan Gold (RIP) and Peter Meehan (former Food Editor at the LA Times) went on a taco crawl in DTLA that included a Taco Bell/KFC drive through, lol.

Last edited:

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
You can argue about the return, but it certainly looks like trading Manson was the right call. Been a rapid decline over the last two seasons

Rakell too. And Deslauriers. All three, you could probably get back right now as a cap dump for practically nothing. Thing is the way they're playing you might not want any of them.

Even Lindholm has had some slippage, yet is signed for another 6 years.

The old Bill Walsh philosophy was better to get rid of a guy a year too early, rather than a year too late. And unlike non guaranteed deals in the NFL, getting rid of a guy late in the NHL might mean you're stuck with him for multiple years.

Last edited:

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
would've preferred to keep deslauriers, but completely fine with all the other trades. there was no reason at all to keep guys like lindholm, rakell, or manson

Reactions: Kalv

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
My biggest takeaway from the playoffs this year is that for all the draft capital we’ve spent on forwards in the top 10, I’d make the argument if we go D this year, this may be the most important pick we make in this era (unless Minty or Zellweger make massive strides in their development). The team cannot be a true Cup contender without the all-situations 1D, they have to get it right.

Reactions: Kalv
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
It's more the point of when you're taking a song from a certain culture but don't really have representation of the culture that makes me raise my eyebrows a bit.

At the end of the day it is just a song so I'm not gonna start screaming about appropriation but I'm still gonna make some side eyed looks to my friends when a bunch of white people are singing a mexican song and have zero understanding of the history associated with it and only like it because some kid also liked it.

giphy.gif

Jk
One of the worst things about growing up in So Cal and then moving away is not realizing how spoiled you are when it comes to abundant, top notch proper Mexican food. I miss it!

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada

giphy.gif

Jk

As a person who teaches music, music is meant to be shared and enjoyed by all.

Edit: La Bamba is played because it was the favorite song of Joey Moss, long serving towel boy for the Oilers who passed away a couple years ago. Joey was a prominent symbol of hope for people with Downs Syndrome and the disabled community at large for what can be achieved. And the "some kid" you referenced was a young boy who has also since passed away from cancer that just happened to love the song as well.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
As a person who teaches music, music is meant to be shared and enjoyed by all.

Edit: La Bamba is played because it was the favorite song of Joey Moss, long serving towel boy for the Oilers who passed away a couple years ago. Joey was a prominent symbol of hope for people with Downs Syndrome and the disabled community at large for what can be achieved. And the "some kid" you references was a young boy who has also since passed away from cancer that just happened to love the song as well.
That's a lovely tribute, but it doesn't really respond to her point about people liking a thing without knowing why it mattered to the people who made it. Actually it kind of proves her point.

Reactions: Captain kahruinch

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
That's a lovely tribute, but it doesn't really respond to her point about people liking a thing without knowing why it mattered to the people who made it. Actually it kind of proves her point.

I think it means quite the opposite. If the original writers of the song knew the wide reach it would achieve, I think they'd be pumped. Art doesn't need to be fully understood to be appreciated and has different meanings for everyone, that's why it's beautiful.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
I think it means quite the opposite. If the original writers of the song knew the wide reach it would achieve, I think they'd be pumped. Art doesn't need to be fully understood to be appreciated and has different meanings for everyone, that's why it's beautiful.
Maybe you're right, but you can admit that's a pretty self-serving interpretation, right? And focusing on the feelings of the original writers narrows the scope beyond the premise, which was about repurposing a current culture's thing for your own uses. Which again kinda proves the point that the cultural aspect is being pushed aside.

I agree with you about art! But it seems like, to some, the WAY in which some art is appreciated can be irksome, so it's not necessarily about appreciating art per se.

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
Maybe you're right, but you can admit that's a pretty self-serving interpretation, right? And focusing on the feelings of the original writers narrows the scope beyond the premise, which was about repurposing a current culture's thing for your own uses. Which again kinda proves the point that the cultural aspect is being pushed aside.

I agree with you about art! But it seems like, to some, the WAY in which some art is appreciated can be irksome, so it's not necessarily about appreciating art per se.

Could be. I guess I don't really buy into the cultural appropriation thing, I think it's a beautiful thing that things like the internet have made the world a smaller place where we get to appreciate and borrow from other cultures.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Could be. I guess I don't really buy into the cultural appropriation thing, I think it's a beautiful thing that things like the internet have made the world a smaller place where we get to appreciate and borrow from other cultures.
Without disagreeing with the sentiment, what part of the Oilers playing La Bamba is meant to appreciate other cultures?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad