Around the League

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
You mean the 5'8" center that lit up the AHL in his rookie season, and got promoted to the big club? He's def small, but that's why he fell to the second round.

I was just surprised I liked a few of your posts today. I certainly look at the poster's name when I read posts.

And Buium is def a project. We'll see next season.

The issue is the draft is a crapshoot, you cannot fault the Wings for not taking those players because their numbers and showing during the draft year suggests that they probably should not be drafted that high. Nevertheless, all the kids in question here are still 20/21 years old, so the jury is still out on them.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Agreed. Another place I think the NHL is completely failing is hits from behind. It's technically not allowed, but is absolutely actually allowed in practice as long as you don't hit the guy too hard and nothing bad happens.

But if the guy you're running from behind stumbles, or something fluky happens then suddenly it's illegal again. The obvious solution to me is to actually not allow hitting from behind.

And while we're at it, any fight that happens after a hit is an automatic 2, 5, and 10 for the guy instigating. I think it's supposed to be that way but they rarely call it. Players shouldn't have to answer for a clean hard hit. And even if it's questionable, if you want to send a message you're gonna pay a price.

Yup. It sure seems like Yzerman's got a window in mind. Also, it's hard to lure skill guys to a team that's awful. As the Wings claw their way out of the basement it should get less difficult to sign better players.

the sad thing is that that is probably what does end up happening at some point

....but it'll take someone getting paralyzed or something first and then rules will be changed in reaction to that

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
The issue is the draft is a crapshoot, you cannot fault the Wings for not taking those players because their numbers and showing during the draft year suggests that they probably should not be drafted that high. Nevertheless, all the kids in question here are still 20/21 years old, so the jury is still out on them.

It's not a complete crapshoot, otherwise why bother scouting? Teams didn't think Stankoven had enough skill to compensate for his size, looks like they were wrong.

Also, I didn't say either Cossa or Buium are busts, I said goalie and project defenseman. I'll take 2 roster centers over that. Certainly better than playing Czarnik during a playoff chase.

the sad thing is that that is probably what does end up happening at some point

....but it'll take someone getting paralyzed or something first and then rules will be changed in reaction to that

It's not the rules, it's rule enforcement. They cracked down on crosschecking for a bit and now backed off. Same with subtle interference before that.

At least they're a bit more consistent with hits to the head, but we've seen that also being ignored when the Wings are the target. Then again, I've also seen sticks thrown at the puck and not get called this season, lol.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
It's not a complete crapshoot, otherwise why bother scouting? Teams didn't think Stankoven had enough skill to compensate for his size, looks like they were wrong.

Also, I didn't say either Cossa or Buium are busts, I said goalie and project defenseman. I'll take 2 roster centers over that. Certainly better than playing Czarnik during a playoff chase.

Scouting is simply a game of projection, for every Stankoven, million others didn't make it. Keep in mind even Stankoven himself is just getting started, and for all we know he may not be all that good down the road.

The only method with 100% success rate is a crystal ball.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Scouting is simply a game of projection, for every Stankoven, million others didn't make it. Keep in mind even Stankoven himself is just getting started, and for all we know he may not be all that good down the road.

The only method with 100% success rate is a crystal ball.

Nobody's expecting 100% success, some teams are more successful than others, and it's not by pure chance. Scouting matters.

Bgav

We Stylin'
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver
Ya'll really did not lie when you warned us about Hronek :laugh: Hopefully we can get a similar return as you guys did.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad