Tennis: All Purpose Tennis Thread XVI

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Chilean (former Canadian junior) Alejandro Tabilo, though 26-years-old, seems to have emerged fully formed from a cabbage patch this year, rocketing from #190 a year ago to #25 on the live ATP rankings. He defeated Zhang today in straight, entertaining sets, following his earlier defeats of Nole and Khachanov. He is so calm and matter-of-fact out there, just going about his business with no muss and no fuss. But he has a fine all-around game with no obvious weaknesses and a forehand that can hurt people. His rise is partly explained by his success in Challengers last year as he won four of them, certainly a big boost to his confidence. Whoever he meets in the semis better bring their "A" game.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Zverev wins a one-sided match 3 and 4 over Fritz. As he has been doing all year, Zverev served great (77% on first serve), dominated from the baseline, proved superior on the backhand, and frequently took advantage of his edge in mobility to come to the net, usually with easy putaways. The way he is playing right now, Zverev has to be counted as a significant threat at Roland Garros.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad