Abbotsford Canucks Talk | Part 2

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
One of the greatest mysteries to me surrounding the Canucks prospect pool is what he heck happened to Danila Klimovich in Abbotsford last season.

After scoring 17 goals in 67 games a year ago; last season he got into only 24 games and scored just twice. Was he injured? Did his performance in practices and in limited game experience crater that badly? Were there personal issues he had to sort out? Who knows?

But a big, physical winger with some skill, who's still only 21, needs to play in a lot more games to assess where he's really at. But of course the Canucks are really saying nothing about his season.

He still has two more years on his ELC.....but next year season in Abbotsford is huge for him. Without a major leap forward, I could see the Canucks loaning to some team in Europe. After that, it's a possibility they don't even qualify him.

Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
One of the greatest mysteries to me surrounding the Canucks prospect pool is what he heck happened to Danila Klimovich in Abbotsford last season.

After scoring 17 goals in 67 games a year ago; last season he got into only 24 games and scored just twice. Was he injured? Did his performance in practices and in limited game experience crater that badly? Were there personal issues he had to sort out? Who knows?

But a big, physical winger with some skill, who's still only 21, needs to play in a lot more games to assess where he's really at. But of course the Canucks are really saying nothing about his season.

He still has two more years on his ELC.....but next year season in Abbotsford is huge for him. Without a major leap forward, I could see the Canucks loaning to some team in Europe. After that, it's a possibility they don't even qualify him.

I was wondering if he might not just bolt back overseas and forgo his ELC. Like you, I’m not sure what happened, but I do think he was a healthy scratch somewhat regularly this year, and it wasn’t all injuries keeping him out of the lineup.

THRILLHOIAF

Jul 26, 2019

Played the first two games of the season on the fourth line, didn't really stick out. Then did something to his upper body. Shoulder IIRC. Basically rotated big stretches on IR with a handful of games. Missed 25 of the first 32 because of it.

Klim was always a very hot-headed player. He would rage on the ice over flubbing his assignments, goals against, missed scoring chances, etc.

I think his shot getting messed with due to the injury got to his head and basically reset his mindset to where he was at during his AHL debut, which was a frustrated unreliable teenager playing in the men's league.

He crushed during preseason and the prospects camp, so I don't think this season was just a player having a blip in 2022-23 and returning to reality.

You simply don't outscore competition 33 to 19 at 5-on-5 (second best differential on the team) while leading the team in 5v5 goals in one season on a 13% shooting clip, then just turn into a 13th forward.

Klim still finished the season with a positive share of goalscoring. Abbotsford outscored opposition 5-2 at 5-on-5 with him on the ice and he had points on four of those five goals scored on a 6.06% shooting clip.

I'm optimistic he can rebound. He's got the frame, shot, and (as shown last year) the ability to be a menacing two-way forechecking presence against his competition. Hopefully he can find that mojo again.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
You simply don't outscore competition 33 to 19 at 5-on-5 (second best differential on the team) while leading the team in 5v5 goals in one season on a 13% shooting clip, then just turn into a 13th forward.

I mean, most of that was done on a line with Bains who was driving the line and should have been playing much further up the roster.

Klimovich's 22-23 production to me was more a function of playing with a really good player in soft minutes than it was that he was doing a terrific job. He was obviously better than this year but his production cratered last year too when Bains was moved away from him.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
I mean, most of that was done on a line with Bains who was driving the line and should have been playing much further up the roster.

Klimovich's 22-23 production to me was more a function of playing with a really good player in soft minutes than it was that he was doing a terrific job. He was obviously better than this year but his production cratered last year too when Bains was moved away from him.
Ah, we call this the Horvat-Kenins, Pettersson-Goldobin phenomenon.

Reactions: Vector and MS

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Does anyone from the 2023-24 Abbotsford Canucks break through and make the parent Canucks at training camp in September?

If you eliminate Silovs from the discussion, guys like Bains, Karlsson and maybe Sasson seem to have the inside track. At least they saw some action last season.

But Cole McWard might be a dark-horse candidate. He really came on at the end of last season. And the Canucks are clearly going to have some holes to fill on their blueline.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Does anyone from the 2023-24 Abbotsford Canucks break through and make the parent Canucks at training camp in September?

If you eliminate Silovs from the discussion, guys like Bains, Karlsson and maybe Sasson seem to have the inside track. At least they saw some action last season.

But Cole McWard might be a dark-horse candidate. He really came on at the end of last season. And the Canucks are clearly going to have some holes to fill on their blueline.

The Canucks seem very high on Bains and Podkolzin. Podkolzin is likely in the plans given his contract, and I think the Canucks are hoping Bains makes a push.

I think Karlsson’s use in the post season and the fact Tocchet clearly likes him make him an intriguing one to watch. Most of us had him pegged as going back to Sweden this summer, but I wouldn’t be shocked to see him carve out a fourth line spot for himself, especially with his solid board game.

So long and short - Karlsson and Bains would be my thoughts up front. Maybe an outside chance of Sasson.

I don’t see any defenders breaking through.

Reactions: Vector

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
The Canucks seem very high on Bains and Podkolzin. Podkolzin is likely in the plans given his contract, and I think the Canucks are hoping Bains makes a push.

I think Karlsson’s use in the post season and the fact Tocchet clearly likes him make him an intriguing one to watch. Most of us had him pegged as going back to Sweden this summer, but I wouldn’t be shocked to see him carve out a fourth line spot for himself, especially with his solid board game.

So long and short - Karlsson and Bains would be my thoughts up front. Maybe an outside chance of Sasson.

I don’t see any defenders breaking through.

I think Bains, Podkozlin, and Karlsson all make the team next season. Allvin mentioned 2-3 forwards from the AHL needing to make the roster next season.

Hirose and Brisebois are on one-way contracts next season and Wolanin isn’t far behind with a substantial AHL salary. Wouldn’t be shocked if one of them made the team.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore

Aatu Raty came a long way last year playing mostly left wing. He's a smart, good skating, very responsible 21 year old kid who looked poised to make the jump closing out the season. He has a much more NHL projectable game than a guy like Bains, though the Canucks do seem to love them some Bains judging by the opportunities afforded him last season.

Center Sasson and Woo on the blueline are guys who I think might make some noise as well. For Woo, as well as Linus Karlsson, it's almost now or never time.

rea

Feb 8, 2011
I think Bains, Podkozlin, and Karlsson all make the team next season. Allvin mentioned 2-3 forwards from the AHL needing to make the roster next season.

Hirose and Brisebois are on one-way contracts next season and Wolanin isn’t far behind with a substantial AHL salary. Wouldn’t be shocked if one of them made the team.
Unless he shits the bed, I think only podkolzin will be expected to be regular based on waivers.

Raty and Karlsson are eligible til 2025 if I understand it right. If the view of the team is that they're on the cusp of upper echelon, they'll probably sign a bunch of vets to fill roster. If these 2 can be sent down freely, they'd probably have to blow up expectations during training camp to warrant waiving any signings to fill a bottom 6 role.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Unless he shits the bed, I think only podkolzin will be expected to be regular based on waivers.

Raty and Karlsson are eligible til 2025 if I understand it right. If the view of the team is that they're on the cusp of upper echelon, they'll probably sign a bunch of vets to fill roster. If these 2 can be sent down freely, they'd probably have to blow up expectations during training camp to warrant waiving any signings to fill a bottom 6 role.

This issue is cap space. None of the vets signed to minimum contracts will provide more than Bains or Karlsson anyway. The other thing is age. Karlssoni s 24 and Bains is 23. If they can't make the team next season, then time has already ran out.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
This issue is cap space. None of the vets signed to minimum contracts will provide more than Bains or Karlsson anyway. The other thing is age. Karlssoni s 24 and Bains is 23. If they can't make the team next season, then time has already ran out.

My personal bet is that Karlsson has the inside edge on a roster spot, unless Bains has a big off season working on his strength and skating.

Reactions: Vector

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad