WNBA 2024 WNBA Season Thread

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
She has the IT factor. That's all there is to it, Jordan had it, Tiger had it and she has it.

The fact that she rewrote the NCAA record books and came into the league with more hype than probably any prospect ever.

I dont think the color of her skin or which way she swings is relevant at all.
She's a great player but if you don't think her skin colour and sexual preferences have anything to do with it you are naive as hell. Do you really think a black lesbian would get the same coverage/accolades?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
If she were gay, she would be more appealing within that sphere, not less. All of the LGBTQ zines and outlets would be in on the action, too.

Reactions: Voight

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
OK so go back and look at how Brittney Griner's situation was handled in the media and by the public.

Like when numerous celebrities & athletes were clamouring for the federal government to get her back from Russia ? Like when they traded the most notorious arms dealer for her ?

Any negative attention she received was because she wasn't wrongfully detained despite people claiming as much. She broke the law, yea her sentence was way too severe based on what she would've gotten here but what pissed people off was the prisoner exchange and the fact that a former Marine (who was innocent) has been in Russian custody for almost a decade and the government decided she was more important.

Griner getting the attention she did is a counterpoint to whatever point you're trying to make.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Like when numerous celebrities & athletes were clamouring for the federal government to get her back from Russia ? Like when they traded the most notorious arms dealer for her ?

Any negative attention she received was because she wasn't wrongfully detained despite people claiming as much. She broke the law, yea her sentence was way too severe based on what she would've gotten here but what pissed people off was the prisoner exchange and the fact that a former Marine (who was innocent) has been in Russian custody for almost a decade and the government decided she was more important.

Griner getting the attention she did is a counterpoint to whatever point you're trying to make.
Paul Whelan’s family supported her release, because it wasn’t an either/or. They did not want Griner’s release being risked because they don’t think negotiations for Whelan himself have been in good faith and they were at risk to an ultimatum.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
She got out after being locked up for 10 months. Initially in the first 2-3 months not much happened and she was a big time WNBA star.

You do realize things such as prisoner exchanges don't just happen instantaneously? Negotiations take time, especially in cases like this where the two countries have a hostile relationship. Being a WNBA star is the reason why she even got out, had the same thing happened to me or you we'd still be in a Russian prison.

Paul Whelan’s family supported her release, because it wasn’t an either/or. They did not want Griner’s release being risked because they don’t think negotiations for Whelan himself have been in good faith and they were at risk to an ultimatum.

I remember hearing that, tho I'm sure people were still angry whether they were aware of that or not.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
You do realize things such as prisoner exchanges don't just happen instantaneously? Negotiations take time, especially in cases like this where the two countries have a hostile relationship. Being a WNBA star is the reason why she even got out, had the same thing happened to me or you we'd still be in a Russian prison.

I remember hearing that, tho I'm sure people were still angry whether they were aware of that or not.
Can’t help those who are committed, but if the family is good with it, no reason for anyone to be more mad than the aggrieved.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Ok looks like we finally got a beef going on

Not a bad thing to get the temperature raised a bit

Sep 19, 2008
Pat got himself in some heat but apologized for calling Clark "white bitch"

The thing is if you pay attention to Pat he doesn't even hate Clark he was just being colloquial

Hardly the perceived offense some online think it out to be...

Sep 19, 2008
Clark shouldn't be criticized based on race but rather because of statistical numbers. 3 points last night is something to critique her for. Let's be honest, she isn't having the best welcome to the league especially with all the hype placed upon her.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Clark shouldn't be criticized based on race but rather because of statistical numbers. 3 points last night is something to critique her for. Let's be honest, she isn't having the best welcome to the league especially with all the hype placed upon her.
By most accounts, she’s getting played harder than rookies tend to be, by veteran players who are fresher, in a league for veterans. A lot of commentators saying the early schedule has been nuts since everyone wants her on TV. That’s part of the gig though, everyone wanna get their shots in while they can.

What the league doesn’t want is the perception that star players take cheap shots and get mugged like you would’ve seen in minor league hockey. If you want to be major league, you need to be presenting yourself that way.

What Pat McAfee said, I understood what he meant, but this is life in the big city, you can’t be calling women bitches.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
By most accounts, she’s getting played harder than rookies tend to be, by veteran players who are fresher, in a league for veterans. A lot of commentators saying the early schedule has been nuts since everyone wants her on TV. That’s part of the gig though, everyone wanna get their shots in while they can.

What the league doesn’t want is the perception that star players take cheap shots and get mugged like you would’ve seen in minor league hockey. If you want to be major league, you need to be presenting yourself that way.

What Pat McAfee said, I understood what he meant, but this is life in the big city, you can’t be calling women bitches.
That's a good point I never realized, she's coming off a full season of college basketball, she has to be worn down a bit physically and mentally.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
That's a good point I never realized, she's coming off a full season of college basketball, she has to be worn down a bit physically and mentally.
They played 11 games in 20 days, evidently that hasn’t happened in the league in like 17 years or something. However, a lot of players do also play overseas during the offseason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad