Podcast (Audio) 2024 Playoff Blog, Video and Podcast Thread

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Okay, so he started them together because Leon is playing injured. Does that necessitate that he plays them more minutes because of that, or is it because they are constantly chasing the game due to leaky goaltending?

This is why I said I wanted to agree to disagree, we're debating in circles here and neither of us are going to agree with the other on these points.
Im not buying the 'Leon is injured and couldnt play centre' excuse.
They played RNH at centre anyway.
Leon could have just as easily played on RNH's wing as well.
Not having him play center didnt mean that the only alternative was to have him play with McDavid.

In any event we can absolutely move on.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Im not buying the 'Leon is injured and couldnt play centre' excuse.
They played RNH at centre anyway.
Leon could have just as easily played on RNH's wing as well.
Not having him play center didnt mean that the only alternative was to have him play with McDavid.

In any event we can absolutely move on.

So why did the coach move him to centre? Do you think he isn't injured? He was dominant playing through injury in 2022. The depth weren't the reason that Skinner let in shit goals allowing the Canucks to come back in game 1.

jesusbuiltmyhotrod

Feb 27, 2021
@Oilhawks
Let me just emphasize what Messier said in the above interview.
The playoffs reveal teams and this playoffs is starting to reveal this teams weaknesses.
Its frustrating as hell to witness because they appear to be (at least to this point anyway) the same weaknesses from last year and the year before.
That’s. The frustrating part and nothing was really done to improve it from last year

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
So why did the coach move him to centre? Do you think he isn't injured? He was dominant playing through injury in 2022. The depth weren't the reason that Skinner let in shit goals allowing the Canucks to come back in game 1.
I am leaning towards that. Another poster actually brought up the possibility that Leon being injured was just gamesmanship.
Makes sense to me.

As for the goaltending...I get that you are extremely frustrated and I dont blame you.
I am frustrated too.
I am just not accpeting that goaltending was and is the only issue with this team. Depsite it being the prevailing narrative out there.

That is a shortsighted take IMO.
We dont have to agree on that though...all good.

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
I am leaning towards that. Another poster actually brought up the possibility that Leon being injured was just gamesmanship.
Makes sense to me.

As for the goaltending...I get that you are extremely frustrated and I dont balme you.
I am frustrated too.
I am just not accpeting that goaltending was and is the only issue with this team. Depsite it being the prevailing narrative out there.

That is a shortsighted take IMO. We dont have to agree on that.

Well, if that's to be believed we could claim almost anything and dig in our heels. Perhaps we'll find out the truth and it was all just a lie so he could stack the top line. Seems strange but it is possible. I wonder then if Leon was faking looking gassed and injured in the game then.

I'm not saying it's the only problem. I'm saying it's the primary problem and the other issues have been influenced or exacerbated by it. Pickard may not be any better, I hope he is.

Skinner has 20 playoff games to earn his cap era statistical nadir. I don't see how viewing him as an absolute failure and playoff choker is short-sighted. Other goalies have been out of the league for less. I think he can turn things around, but will require a better goalie coach, commitment to fitness and training and growing up with the back to back ego checks he's taken in the 2nd round. He should not be the starter next season, I will be fine with him being the 1B at best. The new management will deal with the Campbell contract and bring in someone that can confidently be the 1A.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Well, if that's to be believed we could claim almost anything and dig in our heels. Perhaps we'll find out the truth and it was all just a lie so he could stack the top line. Seems strange but it is possible. I wonder then if Leon was faking looking gassed and injured in the game then.

I'm not saying it's the only problem. I'm saying it's the primary problem and the other issues have been influenced or exacerbated by it. Pickard may not be any better, I hope he is.

Skinner has 20 playoff games to earn his cap era statistical nadir. I don't see how viewing him as an absolute failure and playoff choker is short-sighted. Other goalies have been out of the league for less. I think he can turn things around, but will require a better goalie coach, commitment to fitness and training and growing up with the back to back ego checks he's taken in the 2nd round. He should not be the starter next season, I will be fine with him being the 1B at best. The new management will deal with the Campbell contract and bring in someone that can confidently be the 1A.
You are conflating issues here.
I am not disputing Skinners failure or the measure of it.

All I am saying is that it isnt the only issue.
Thats it.

I also think the goalie coach stuff is a bit over the top but thats anothe topic...lol

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
You are conflating issues here.
I am not disputing Skinners failure or the measure of it.

All I am saying is that it isnt the only issue.
Thats it.

I also think the goalie coach stuff is a bit over the top but thats anothe topic...lol

Great, I guess we agree then. Cheers

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Great, I guess we agree then. Cheers
I actually do think we agree...at least on most things.

If I had to pick a reason on why Skinner is struggling then I look no further than Jack Campbell.
The original plan was to have him be the starter and Skinner develop as an NHL goalie by being a backup for a couple of years.
Campbells ineptitude f**ked that up royally. Skinner as a rookie goalie had to be thrust into the starting role in the regular season and playoffs. He wasnt ready for that mentally IMO.
I think thats the biggest reason why he hasnt taken the next step.
Not the goalie coach. The goalie coach by and large is just low hanging fruit for angry fans IMO.
Those same angry fans that are now ripping Skinner for his moustache. LOL

Ultimately this all comes down to Ken Holland.
He set this franchise back with 2 decisions...the Campbell signing and the Nurse contract.
Its conceivable that this version of this team wont be able to recover from those 2 things.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad