2024 Offseason Habs Thread -- news, musings, whatnot

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
All fair points, and it may be semantics but I just find stuff like "we have no offensive prospects" to be slightly misleading even if somewhat true, for all intents and purpose have 1, the guy we are about to draft. I'm fine with disregarding Mesar, Farrell and even Roy to some degree since they are varying degrees of long shots, but whether it's Demidov, Lindstrom, Iginla, Sennecke, etc... they will be seen as a guys who can and should play in our top-6 within 1-2 years.
I respectfully don't have the same faith.

Demidov is very likely not going to be there at 5, Lindstrom is a crapshoot with his injury issues, and Iginla is not ready yet. Sennecke even less so.

A short-term contract is always tradable.

We shall see I guess. I don't expect us to be active anyway.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I respectfully don't have the same faith.

Demidov is very likely not going to be there at 5, Lindstrom is a crapshoot with his injury issues, and Iginla is not ready yet. Sennecke even less so.

A short-term contract is always tradable.

We shall see I guess. I don't expect us to be active anyway.
Not ready yet as in this upcoming season, 100% agree, not be ready in 1-2 years though I would be very surprised.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
I would have more interest in Perron than Marchessault to be honest. Marchessault is clearly the better player, but it is his last chance to cash in so he'll likely want a longer-term deal. By the time we are looking to be more competitive he might already be declining.

Perron would probably only want a year or two deal and can chip in 50 points while being a good leader for the younger guys.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
I would have more interest in Perron than Marchessault to be honest. Marchessault is clearly the better player, but it is his last chance to cash in so he'll likely want a longer-term deal. By the time we are looking to be more competitive he might already be declining.

Perron would probably only want a year or two deal and can chip in 50 points while being a good leader for the younger guys.

People here are talking about guys who would disappoint here. Perron is an example that comes to mind as far as I'm concerned.

The guy is 37 and slowed down a lot last season.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

The Habs wouldn't sign Marchessault to a long term deal but we know Hughes likes to have veterans, and players who have won around the young core. So if Marchessault is interested in a short 3 year deal at acceptable money to not only be a veteran but a local guy, it's not going to be a move that hurts us.

He just scored 40 goals last year, was a Conn Smythe winner last year, etc. so it's not like he's a total bum out there. They could use someone to be on a 2nd powerplay unit should Hutson start there and give him something to work with, as that 2nd unit was largely unplayable.

Outside of somehow Reinhart being interested, they aren't going to be giving out major term to anyone but I can see a reclamation project like Roslovic, a veteran on a short term deal like Marchessault and/or some size and jam on the bottom 6 like Joshua.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
The Habs wouldn't sign Marchessault to a long term deal but we know Hughes likes to have veterans, and players who have won around the young core. So if Marchessault is interested in a short 3 year deal at acceptable money to not only be a veteran but a local guy, it's not going to be a move that hurts us.

He just scored 40 goals last year, was a Conn Smythe winner last year, etc. so it's not like he's a total bum out there. They could use someone to be on a 2nd powerplay unit should Hutson start there and give him something to work with, as that 2nd unit was largely unplayable.

Outside of somehow Reinhart being interested, they aren't going to be giving out major term to anyone but I can see a reclamation project like Roslovic, a veteran on a short term deal like Marchessault and/or some size and jam on the bottom 6 like Joshua.

If he's willing to sign a 3 year deal I'd be all for that, something along the lines of the Giroux contract would be great.

However given Marchessault was a late bloomer and didn't start getting paid well until his late 20's, I wouldn't be surprised to see him wanting a longer deal as it is likely his last big chance to cash in.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal

Reinhart, Roslovic, Debrusk would seem to me to be the obvious targets for the habs.

Reinhart, I'd be wary whether the habs would be signing the ppg Reinhart (which he only achieved twice) or the 55-65 point Reinhart. Also, he's turning 29 in November. I'm cautious about spending money long-term on any forward 27 and older given the age of the current core and how many pieces the team still needs to compete.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
If he's willing to sign a 3 year deal I'd be all for that, something along the lines of the Giroux contract would be great.

However given Marchessault was a late bloomer and didn't start getting paid well until his late 20's, I wouldn't be surprised to see him wanting a longer deal as it is likely his last big chance to cash in.

Of course he will try to do that and if it gets there, you know we will bow out. I just see him as someone they would try to get in if the term and dollars are agreeable.

Reinhart, Roslovic, Debrusk would seem to me to be the obvious targets for the habs.

Reinhart, I'd be wary whether the habs would be signing the ppg Reinhart (which he only achieved twice) or the 55-65 point Reinhart. Also, he's turning 29 in November. I'm cautious about spending money long-term on any forward 27 and older given the age of the current core and how many pieces the team still needs to compete.

I really don't see Reinhart signing here but I do think if he hit the market that Hughes would still call the camp and see what the demands are, the term is, and whether any of it makes sense.

I agree with Roslovic and Debrusk, I just also think they'll take to Marchessault, they may talk to Perron too if Marchessault prices himself out. I just would not be surprised at all if they brought in a veteran top 6 forward on a short to medium term contract, especially with the notion that they'll liquidate some of the veterans like Armia and Dvorak at some point here soon.

Reactions: Leon Lucius Black

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Looking at the UFA crop, this is what I think

Kick Tires but won't really go anywhere
  • Sam Reinhart
  • Elias Lindholm
  • Teuvo Teravainen
  • Brett Pesce

Genuine Interest
  • Jonathan Marchessault (3-4 year deal)
  • Jake DeBrusk
  • Dakota Joshua for grit and size in the bottom 6

Secondary Targets
  • Anthony Mantha on a short term reclamation deal
  • Jack Roslovic on a short term reclamation deal
  • Yakov Trenin for size in the bottom 6 and center flexibility
Not sure if Marchessault could happen, but I think Debrusk and Mantha are realistic targets for signing. Joshua depending on the caphit.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Looking at the UFA crop, this is what I think

Kick Tires but won't really go anywhere
  • Sam Reinhart
  • Elias Lindholm
  • Teuvo Teravainen
  • Brett Pesce

Genuine Interest
  • Jonathan Marchessault (3-4 year deal)
  • Jake DeBrusk
  • Dakota Joshua for grit and size in the bottom 6

Secondary Targets
  • Anthony Mantha on a short term reclamation deal
  • Jack Roslovic on a short term reclamation deal
  • Yakov Trenin for size in the bottom 6 and center flexibility

I think Lindholm redeemed himself in the playoffs to an extent, and it sounds like teammates such as jt Miller are lobbying for him, but if he wants top opportunity and top dollar, I don't think he's going to find it in Vancouver.

For the Canucks, I think they have other needs to address and lindholm is more like a luxury with pettersson and Miller down the middle already.

We have all heard those lindolm rumors to Boston, and I think that actually makes alot of sense. He seems like the bruins type of player, and they have a need.... and they are willing to overlook that he might not have as much gas left in the tank since their time is now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad