Prospect Info: 2024 Entry Draft Thread - Let's Talk About Picks, Bay-bee

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Sorry to article bomb or seem like there are shameless plugs. But these are the ones I've written so far.

Obviously some of these are outdated, as they were written during different times of the season. Like Lindstrom was during their skid (though eventually published after McLellan's firing). And Buium and Iginla were before going up the rankings:

EJ Emery and Stian Solberg should both be up soon. At least one of them should hopefully be up by Thursday.

Peter James Bond II

FIRE BLUCGEVIN!
Mar 5, 2015
This is where I think they should target Cole Hutson somehow. His draft projection is all over the place, but seems to be climbing by the day.
From reading Pronman, Wheeler, the Hockeywriters, etc....I also think Cole Hutson would be great. I just wish the Kings had a second and third roud pick! Maybe they can deal Roy's rights for one?
Hutson could slide rd 2, but the Kings will probably have a shot at one of the 2 dynamic LHD. Kiviharju or Hutson. The Kings really need more offense from the backend...especially LHD. Maybe LHD Solberg is good as offensive d? Have not seen footage yet...You see them putting RHD Spence with DD at end of games? . Like desperation to get more from the backend, to help a pretty enemic offense. Just think if they had a dynamic LHD / RHD duo. Didn;t Anaheim win their cup with Pronger / Neidermayer?

What can propel the offense, without any sure fire 40 goal scorers? What can make a 14 goal scoring forward, a 20 goal scorer? - 2 surefire offensive defensemen that bring the puck up and become a 4th person in the zone, sees the ice and hits them with passes for high quality scoring attempts. Perhaps Clarke playing 18 mins and continually creating offense. How abou/t making that 2X? IF a Kiviharju or Hutson are that LHD catalyst in 2 yrs...and they actually are like Dallas Stars draftees, that make their hoped projection (ie Johnston, Stankhoven, Harley and really even Robertson was a pipedream to call him a future 30+ goal scorer) and truly become a dynamic offensive dynamo, you then have both Hutson / Kiviharju and Clarke, injecting offense into a forward group that can truly benfit from a couple unicorns on the backend...I mean, if the Kings have Hutson and Kivi around tier whatever...18-30...why not take one? Need a homerun. Kivi was once a potential #1 OA a few yrs ago for this draft..but had some injuries and Hutson broke USA dev records for a defenseman,...is a little bigger and more physcial than his brother Lane....I mean, there could be any of Hage, Boisvert, Kivi, Parascak, Beaudoin, Chernyshov, Greentree, Connelly, Hutson, Luchanko, Solberg....the Kings WILL get a great prospect...at least better than Kupari, Bjornfot, that were in the 19-23 area from their drafts.

Even if Hutson has any warts...love his work ethic and upside. Most around 21 will have a wart or an issue to work on. Kivi? It seems not much pay this year, to see where he's at. What weapon can the Kings possibly get, that could be better than their comp? 2 dynamic offensive defensemen would be one....they do not have any 40 goal scorers on the way and drafting 21 and probably won't be a lottery team next yr either. What would the Avs be witout Makar or the Nucks without Hughes? I want a defenseman like that. Full knowing Hutson or Kivi are not going to be that level...but feel worth a shot, if Yannetti's guy is clealry not better at 21. Miss a player like Visnovsky...not elite, but damn good, near elite at what he did...maybe Kivi or Hutson could attain that level.

Last edited:

KopitarGOAT420

Jan 30, 2020
USA
History of the 21st Overall Pick:

2000 – Anton Volchenkov (D, Ottawa Senators)
2001 – Colby Armstrong (RW, Pittsburgh Penguins)
2002 – Anton Babchuk (D, Chicago Blackhawks)
2003 – Mark Stuart (D, Boston Bruins)
2004 – Wojtek Wolski (LW, Colorado Avalanche)
2005 – Tuukka Rask (G, Toronto Maple Leafs)
2006 – Bobby Sanguinetti (D, New York Rangers)
2007 – Riley Nash (C, Edmonton Oilers)
2008 – Anton Gustafsson (C, Washington Capitals)
2009 – John Moore (D, Columbus Blue Jackets)
2010 – Riley Sheahan (C, Detroit Red Wings)
2011 – Stefan Noesen (RW, Ottawa Senators)
2012 – Mark Jankowski (C, Calgary Flames)
2013 – Frédérik Gauthier (C, Toronto Maple Leafs)
2014 – Robby Fabbri (C, St. Louis Blues)
2015 – Colin White (C, Ottawa Senators)
2016 – Julien Gauthier (RW, Carolina Hurricanes)
2017 – Filip Chytil (C, New York Rangers)
2018 – Ryan Merkley (D, San Jose Sharks)
2019 – Samuel Poulin (RW, Pittsburgh Penguins)
2020 – Yegor Chinakhov (RW, Columbus Blue Jackets)
2021 - Fabian Lysell (RW, Boston Bruins)
2022 - Owen Pickering (D, Pittsburgh Penguins)
2023 - Charlie Stramel (C, Minnesota Wild)

That gives you some perspective.
I mean geez at that point maybe they should've just traded the pick as part of a package for a #1 goalie.....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad