Pre-Game Talk: 2024 Draft Thread

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Alternatively: Would you trade both or one of the picks for an established or upcoming player? I know this is tough to answer without knowing the hypothetical return, but I am hoping if people are willing to trade they say what for. I am really hoping the answers to that are not for guys over 27.
Yes, assuming the player fills a needed role and is Thomas age or younger. Hard to put names on this sort of thing, a historical ideal would be when Calgary made a move for Dougie Hamilton. If something like that is available, I would move a significant portion of our draft for. Or a Romanov type deal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Celtic Note

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
Alternatively: Would you trade both or one of the picks for an established or upcoming player? I know this is tough to answer without knowing the hypothetical return, but I am hoping if people are willing to trade they say what for. I am really hoping the answers to that are not for guys over 27.
Depending on the return, I’m expecting a young core piece…yes

Drubilly

Sep 23, 2018
Collinsville
This would be my answer.
Same here post. I'd prefer to keep both 10/15 & 16. As a fan I trust the Blues amateur scouting group to target and develop those players. Their value could increase after some development and then could be used in a future trade if necessary. I keep thinking about Boston's 2015 draft. I shudder to think that they could have been in a current dynastic run if they chose better. They did draft Carlo in the second that year though.

As much as I love Buch, I think we'd be doing him a solid by trading him to a team that's close to winning. We've already watched him with our current group under Bannister. How many players away are we from contending with this group? I say too many to make it worthwhile to extend Buch.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I agree about Buch being worth more, but I was just focusing on both of the picks and wondering their value.
Fair enough.

But it’s a good question. I think bleedblue has the right answer with those 2 picks being worth about the 7th overall. In this draft, I think it’d prefer 15 and 16 but hard to say. And even harder to pull off as you’d need a team in that range to want to move down.

LGB

Feb 4, 2019
Yeah this is my concern as well. Saw a couple Norway game from the WJC and loved what I saw. The Czechia game the other day was phenomenal, obviously. But other than that I haven’t seen him play a ton. Maybe I’m missing his bad games and only seeing the upside?

Going to dig into that shift by shift video whenever I have some time, thanks for posting LGB!
Yeah I think I had bad luck with the sampling because EP had good tracking data on him from the WJC and the general sentiment seemed to be he played well. The tools are definitely top 4 caliber, but I thought his reads, decision making, and defensive stick were not good in the couple games I watched. He seems to be really playing well at the WC going on now so hopefully I can find one of those games to watch.

Reactions: Blueston

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Around this time last season does anyone remember where Willander was projected to go. Reinbacher rose throughout the season and was destined to go where he did, but Willander was a late riser, right?

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
Around this time last season does anyone remember where Willander was projected to go. Reinbacher rose throughout the season and was destined to go where he did, but Willander was a late riser, right?
He was, I remember him being in the mid 20s but lots of talk of him being picked in the 8-12 range starting picking up a few weeks before the draft. He was one guy I was interested in the Blues taking, I assumed Dvorsky would have been off the board by our pick. He is another guy Pronman was correct about being a late riser, he also called Carlsson to Anaheim over Fantilli in that draft.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
He was, I remember him being in the mid 20s but lots of talk of him being picked in the 8-12 range starting picking up a few weeks before the draft. He was one guy I was interested in the Blues taking, I assumed Dvorsky would have been off the board by our pick. He is another guy Pronman was correct about being a late riser, he also called Carlsson to Anaheim over Fantilli in that draft.
I actually made a spreadsheet and tried to figure whose last mock was the closest. Cam Robinson, from elite prospects, had the most accurate, but it wasn’t by much.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
After doing some more due diligence on most of the 1st rd rated prospects.

I really like the the top 17'ish players alot.

Obviously, I wish we had another top 10 pick to land the blue chip Dprospect we desperately covet. But relative to other draft years, i'm very excited about the 16th ov this year versus some others.

I believe Adam Jiricek is a surefire top 4 defenseman some day and forwards like Beckett Sennecke(my fave fwd outside the top 5), Iginla, Greentree, Helenius, Connelly and Brandsegg- Nygard are all future quality top 6 fwds with a couple guys having elite level potential if they can translate.

I really think we're in a fine spot at the draft this year..... Especially with two 2nd rounders, there are some high quality defenceman(obviously with some flaws) but top 4 potential D that should be around in the 2nd round like Freij, Solberg and Emery that i'd love to see us nab.

Anyway.... just wanted to say i'm actually excited for 16th this year-still hope we trade up but I wouldn't be angry or dissapointed if we don't......just make the right choice at 16 lol.

Sennecke, Jiricek, connelly, brandsegg-nygard are probably my preferred choices in that order assuming Iginla and helenius are off the board. on top of the obvious top 15 choices...

LGB

Feb 4, 2019
After doing some more due diligence on most of the 1st rd rated prospects.

I really like the the top 17'ish players alot.

Obviously, I wish we had another top 10 pick to land the blue chip Dprospect we desperately covet. But relative to other draft years, i'm very excited about the 16th ov this year versus some others.

I believe Adam Jiricek is a surefire top 4 defenseman some day and forwards like Beckett Sennecke(my fave fwd outside the top 5), Iginla, Greentree, Helenius, Connelly and Brandsegg- Nygard are all future quality top 6 fwds with a couple guys having elite level potential if they can translate.

I really think we're in a fine spot at the draft this year..... Especially with two 2nd rounders, there are some high quality defenceman(obviously with some flaws) but top 4 potential D that should be around in the 2nd round like Freij, Solberg and Emery that i'd love to see us nab.

Anyway.... just wanted to say i'm actually excited for 16th this year-still hope we trade up but I wouldn't be angry or dissapointed if we don't......just make the right choice at 16 lol.

Sennecke, Jiricek, connelly, brandsegg-nygard are probably my preferred choices in that order assuming Iginla and helenius are off the board. on top of the obvious top 15 choices...
Would be interested to hear your more complete thoughts on Jiricek. He’s a guy I was excited for early on but obviously this season went about as poorly as it could have for him. I think he’s a guy who could benefit from playing in the CHL next season like Dvorsky.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Would be interested to hear your more complete thoughts on Jiricek. He’s a guy I was excited for early on but obviously this season went about as poorly as it could have for him. I think he’s a guy who could benefit from playing in the CHL next season like Dvorsky.
Honestly I think he just needs time, would love to see him come over but, I wouldn't hate if he went to like the SHL or something similiar to lindstein.....Just get out of that czech league lmao.

I really like Jiriceks combination of mobility, elusiveness with the puck on retrievals. outlet passing, poise at the offensive blue and his overall defensive style of play is consistent and smart.

He's not like an overly dynamic offensive D. But I think he'll be a really solid #2/3 longterm

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Fair enough.

But it’s a good question. I think bleedblue has the right answer with those 2 picks being worth about the 7th overall. In this draft, I think it’d prefer 15 and 16 but hard to say. And even harder to pull off as you’d need a team in that range to want to move down.
Another question might be would you trade those two picks for anyone in the draft outside of Celebrini (those two picks won’t be enough for him)?

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
Joel Svensson is a guy I would like the Blues to consider with a late pick an overager RH shot c/w 6’1” 185 plus skater excellent shot 24 goals in 25 U20 games + 4 more in 4 playoff games. Continued to score in hockey ettan with 8 pts in 10 games and 9 points in 12 playoffs. He was out much of his draft year.

Svante Sjodin is a second overager by 1 day. 6’1” 183 speedy center relentless forechecker. Does everything but put up lots of points, but if they do come you have quite a player.

Last edited:

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
Joel Svensson is a guy I would like the Blues to consider with a late pick an overager RH shot c/w 6’1” 185 plus skater excellent shot 24 goals in 25 U20 games + 4 more in 4 playoff games. Continued to score in hockey ettan with 8 pts in 10 games and 9 points in 12 playoffs. He was out much of his draft year.

Svante Sjodin is a second overager by 1 day. 6’1” 183 speedy center relentless forechecker. Does everything but put up lots of points, but if they do come you have quite a player.

I had Sjodin on my list of 'potential late round steals' last year. I wonder if he gets drafted this year.

Talking about overagers: What do you think about Jere Lassila? Was really good at the WJC U20 and wore an 'A' for his Liiga team at 20 years old... so he got some leadership qualities. He's a double overager and is tiny though. Wonder if he could be a potential late round pick?

I also really like Kaden Pitre as a late round pick. Seems like he could be flying under the radar due to injury problems and thus missed a lot of games. He's an elite skater with 2-way skill but he's still a bit inconsistent. I feel like if he stayed healthy all season he might very well go late 2nd/early 3rd (like his brother). If we can get him with a 5th, that would be a steal.

Reactions: PerryTurnbullfan

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I had Sjodin on my list of 'potential late round steals' last year. I wonder if he gets drafted this year.

Talking about overagers: What do you think about Jere Lassila? Was really good at the WJC U20 and wore an 'A' for his Liiga team at 20 years old... so he got some leadership qualities. He's a double overager and is tiny though. Wonder if he could be a potential late round pick?

I also really like Kaden Pitre as a late round pick. Seems like he could be flying under the radar due to injury problems and thus missed a lot of games. He's an elite skater with 2-way skill but he's still a bit inconsistent. I feel like if he stayed healthy all season he might very well go late 2nd/early 3rd (like his brother). If we can get him with a 5th, that would be a steal.
You’ve been reading my posts on Lassila’s page on the Prospects board, haven’t you? :laugh:

I’d definitely take a late round flyer on Lassila. I watched a couple JYP games to watch Pulkkinen and really noticed Lassila. Only 5’10” and has good but not elite skill but he’s an absolute gamer. Shows smarts, high compete level etc.

Then I recalled he was the Finn that really impressed me at the WJC. Their captain and leading scorer with this OT goal as the highlight.

And as you said, already wearing an A in Finland’s top pro league as a 19 year old (he’s 20 now but this was his 19 year old season). I know next to nothing about him as a person but that certainly suggests some high leadership and/or character characteristics as well. I’d certainly throw a 5th-7th round flyer at him. Reminds me of Vladi Sobotka.

Is he likely to become that? Probably not but for a late round pick, he’s worth giving a shot late in the draft IMO.

Reactions: PerryTurnbullfan

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box

I saw Pitre quite a few times and he didn't really do anything to catch my attention. On the other hand, Lassila is a lunch pail and hard hat guy I would love to have in the fold. Probably nothing earlier than a 5-7 pick, but you have to love a guy that brings his all every shift. That kind of play brings the whole team up a step win or lose, we are giving them our A game!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad