2024 Draft Discussion

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Catton is going to have to make big strides physically to be able to play center in the NHL. Not sure if he gets there or not, might consider him no better than 50/50 as far as ending up a center.

Personally I would pick him top 15 either way though.

Yeah I think theres more of a chance Catton goes top 5 than makes it to 15 unfortunately. He would be very high on my list for what the wings need in the future

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
I go back and forth with Sennecke and Greentree. Sennecke at his best moments has impressed me more than Greentree, and I think the development curve there is encouraging and helps explain the not jaw-dropping production. On the other hand, have to respect how well Greentree has produced on that Windsor team, and I'm optimistic that his straight-line skating will continue to improve with the added strength you'd project for a guy with his frame. I like both players at 15.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Just finished the @My Cozen Dylan mock draft.

Results:

Traded:

Maatta, NDN, 15th

For

Cernak, 2025 Edm 4th

----

Traded:

Veleno

For

Dowd

---

Draft:

47. Kamil Bednarik
80. Lukas Fischer
128. Markus Loponen
144. Kaden Shahan
176. Benjamin Rautiainen
203. Gavin Hodnett
208. Nathan Aspinall
Gross

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Moot point anyways because there's no way Tampa is gonna trade with Detroit, aside from maybe AHLers. Division rivals that finished close in the playoff race rarely trade with each other.

Why trade and lose assets, when you can just make a predatory take for Stamkos out from there as UFA, thanks to their cap problems.

Cernak is having a long-tearm injury, I think his trade value is currently Zero, or will be the important LTIR-tool for the Lightning.

Hockey Know it all

Mar 10, 2019

Results:

Traded:

Maatta, NDN, 15th

For

Cernak, 2025 Edm 4th

----

Traded:

Veleno

For

Dowd

---

Draft:

47. Kamil Bednarik
80. Lukas Fischer
128. Markus Loponen
144. Kaden Shahan
176. Benjamin Rautiainen
203. Gavin Hodnett
208. Nathan Aspinall
No hate man but that is putrid. Cernak is something, at least I feel, we don’t need. While yes he is big and a mean defensemen. Trading a top 15 pick for him is DEFINITELY not worth it my guy.

He is definitely not as good as you think he is.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
When do you think our 2024 first round pick is hitting the NHL exactly? Why are you presuming that there will be a high skill potential forward available? Let me remind you that we are drafting 15OA.
There is almost always a high skill potential player available at the bottom of the 1st, but their likelyhood to bust is much higher at 15. They usually have some warts, but I feel like this is our time to take a swing at a high potential forward. Even if they take a couple of years to develop, forwards typically have a higher impact early on than dmen do.

Adding another top end dman to an already stacked pool just does not make sense to me. For those guys to be assets they have to get playing time at an NHL level and rarely if ever do you see more than 4 drafted guys in a lineup at once. We got Ed and Seider already. I honestly think Aljo will be Walman's replacement after this upcoming season. That leaves maybe 1 spot for another dman and Buium, Wallinder, Tuomisto, Gibson, ASP all competing for that spot.

I would rather trade up or down and take a forward than stand pat and take a dman. Or better yet I would love it Stevie could knab a good young forward in a trade.

Now if Stevie deals some of our d prospects in a trade and then takes a dman as the pick that would be fine too. I just don't want us to jam the pipeline up to the point that we start losing guys on waiver or don't create good assets for trade. I feel like forward prospects are worth more in a trade than dman, but that obviously switches once they are playing in the NHL.

GoBoltz56

Brisebois 1st Rounder
Jul 31, 2004
Tampa and Michigan
No hate man but that is putrid. Cernak is something, at least I feel, we don’t need. While yes he is big and a mean defensemen. Trading a top 15 pick for him is DEFINITELY not worth it my guy.

He is definitely not as good as you think he is.
I would definitely say he is something Detroit could use. He'd slot in nicely behind Seider. But yeah, not for 15th overall.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
I would definitely say he is something Detroit could use. He'd slot in nicely behind Seider. But yeah, not for 15th overall.
I like Cernak but I'd rather go after Roy or Pesce as UFAs and use the 15OA to nab a forward.

I also don't see TB and Det as good trading partner for major pieces yet. TB isn't going into rebuild mode yet with the McD trade.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
There is almost always a high skill potential player available at the bottom of the 1st, but their likelyhood to bust is much higher at 15. They usually have some warts, but I feel like this is our time to take a swing at a high potential forward. Even if they take a couple of years to develop, forwards typically have a higher impact early on than dmen do.

Adding another top end dman to an already stacked pool just does not make sense to me. For those guys to be assets they have to get playing time at an NHL level and rarely if ever do you see more than 4 drafted guys in a lineup at once. We got Ed and Seider already. I honestly think Aljo will be Walman's replacement after this upcoming season. That leaves maybe 1 spot for another dman and Buium, Wallinder, Tuomisto, Gibson, ASP all competing for that spot.

I would rather trade up or down and take a forward than stand pat and take a dman. Or better yet I would love it Stevie could knab a good young forward in a trade.

Now if Stevie deals some of our d prospects in a trade and then takes a dman as the pick that would be fine too. I just don't want us to jam the pipeline up to the point that we start losing guys on waiver or don't create good assets for trade. I feel like forward prospects are worth more in a trade than dman, but that obviously switches once they are playing in the NHL.
This is cliche crap brought to you by the couch scout community. We don't need to revisit prior discussions about relative skill vs. absolute skill. If you have names for this years draft, I would love to hear them.

Tried simulator with McKenzie and Button and both of them gave me Stiga in the second
That would be awesome, but is too good to be true

Reactions: lilidk

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
This is cliche crap brought to you by the couch scout community. We don't need to revisit prior discussions about relative skill vs. absolute skill. If you have names for this years draft, I would love to hear them.

Not going to surprise if he's first round

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013

Results:

Traded:

Maatta, NDN, 15th

For

Cernak, 2025 Edm 4th

----

Traded:

Veleno

For

Dowd

---

Draft:

47. Kamil Bednarik
80. Lukas Fischer
128. Markus Loponen
144. Kaden Shahan
176. Benjamin Rautiainen
203. Gavin Hodnett
208. Nathan Aspinall

Cernak is just a little bit too dinged up and expensive for how how many games he plays and what he brings to be a good acquisition for 15th OA. Hronek for a mid-teens pick was fair value for both teams; Cernak, even if at his best is, or was, more useful to a winning team than Hronek might ever be, does not have the trade value Hronek did at the time he was moved. Also the Wings are not nearly close enough to contention to take advantage of the immediate but likely short-term benefit Cernak might bring. His trade value is more likely in the range of a second-round pick and B prospect or additional later pick.

I wouldn't discount the possibility of a TB-Detroit trade even if it requires a third team to be involved. TB has a few years left in its window if they have the balls to do something significant (ie, trade Hedman). They're not worried about fringe wild-card teams 3-4 years away from contention.

Like drafting Bednarik in the second round.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002

I don't think its a relative vs absolute thing. I'm not saying there is a guy that should be an absolute top 10 guy that the other teams were just dumb and missed. That isn't what I'm taking about in terms of high end skill potential.

There is something to be said for development and taking a risk on a guy that needs a step, or an inch, or needs to learn to use his linemates better. Or maybe taking a chance on a guy that was a little sheltered in a mans league ala Seider or behind great talent ala Larkin.

I think this draft would be the perfect time to go for a guy like Eiserman if he drops even though there are some legitimate questions about this game vs. one of the possible safer d prospects available in the range. It is entirely possible that this could lead to Zadina 2.0 but I think this is the right time to make some riskier picks. I'm not saying I think there are regular McDavids in the bottom half of the 1st but I think leaning into the forward snipers and playmakers is where we should go in this draft. I'm saying lean more towards guys like Berggren than Veleno (style) or Wallinder (position). Give Hakan the pick and let him see if he can dig a 160lb soaking wet forward version of Kronwall out of the blue.

I firmly believe Yzerman is building this team from the backend with the idea of them being a very two-way team. He has taken guys that have higher floors but also play the right way. He has built depth, drive, and a solid amount of back end skill. We don't have a lot of high skill potential outside of Ray at forward (Buch, Lombardi, Danielson are maybes).

If we can trade for it all the better. I'd rather take a semi known player than the crap shoot that is the draft but that is iffy if any of the those players are available. All I'm saying is lean towards skill attributes vs physical attributes and draft forwards.

I am not a scout and I trust Hakan and Yzerman if they pick a guy and say I think he has untapped offensive potential. They did it with Seider and I think they might have one in Danielson. I just don't necessarily want to hear well he skates well and is hard to play against as the only selling points. Give me an ASP style pick but at forward :)

Reactions: LongTimeDRWF

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad