2024 Draft Discussion

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
What a world we live in where 16 year-old hockey players are held to a higher morality standard then elected adult officials...

The commentary is priceless
I'm not sure whether I want to draft Connelly or not. Someone else posted an interview with a list of all the community work he's done since the incident, and to me, he seems like a kid that learned his lesson and is ready for a second chance. I also don't mind though if we say "we have Connelly at an 87 rating, we have this other kid at an 86 rating, let's just avoid the headache."

The fact that, despite every song about the US having been written to the contrary, we'd rather sell our personal freedoms, morals and even democracy to save a few bucks filling the gas tank shouldn't really be a good reason to draft someone.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I'm not sure whether I want to draft Connelly or not. Someone else posted an interview with a list of all the community work he's done since the incident, and to me, he seems like a kid that learned his lesson and is ready for a second chance. I also don't mind though if we say "we have Connelly at an 87 rating, we have this other kid at an 86 rating, let's just avoid the headache."

The fact that, despite every song about the US having been written to the contrary, we'd rather sell our personal freedoms, morals and even democracy to save a few bucks filling the gas tank shouldn't really be a good reason to draft someone.

Yzerman gives the most intense and ambiguous prospects interviews. Kids he interview always have stories about Stevie Y and how intense it is. He says very little, but the things he does say throw them off balance. They don't see it coming and they walk out of the room thinking "WTF just happened!?" -- another Yzerman tactic is he'll interview kids he knows he isn't drafting to get an inside scoop on their teammate or friend of the guy he is interested in.

Based on the inside info we have on Connelly, Yzerman will destroy him during the interviewing process. I doubt he passes Yzerman's tedious interview. And Yzerman isn't risking a 1st rounder on a skilled player that will bring cancer and drama to the locker room.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Jett Luchanko is another guy seemingly rising up boards with attributes like skating, athleticism, and abrasive being used in the same sentence, but just 5'10".

Kournianos has us taking him in his mock (2024 NHL Mock Draft: Post-Lottery Edition) and Craig Button has him going 12 to Philly (Button’s Mock Draft: Who goes after Celebrini? - TSN.ca).

Also, believe Pronman mentioned he expects him in the top 20. And that Sennecke may likely be top 10 at this point.
Mentioned this on the prior page.

Read a mock from Pronman this morning and he mentions MBN, Luchanko, Beaudoin, and Chernyshov as fits for Detroit because they are all very competitive.

Beaudoin is another guy who impressed me at the U18s and I could see Detroit liking a lot.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
i know a lot of us wanted stankoven (myself included) but guessing most here didnt have johnston on their radar on the day of the draft.
Wyatt Johnston played 7 games of hockey in his draft year, none in the OHL.

Dallas is pretty fortunate he turned into a good player, props on them for taking the gamble, but that is not a thing we can or should be looking at trying to duplicate.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Yeahhh, he's not going to be there. It's a shame, because he's exactly what the Wings could use: a physical goalscoring winger with some size who's a terror on the forecheck.

One video of him forechecking is more of an indicator than a top 15 provided with feedback from NHL scouts where he's not listed?

This site is weird sometimes.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
This guy?
Stian Solberg - Stats, Contract, Salary & More

I haven't watched prospects as much this year but he seems like a realgud 2nd round pick if available.

Any highlights of him?
some YouTube videos and he is on Norwegian team right now#72, playing very physical game and the most noticeable on the team. Plays tons with a lot of energy , mistakes here and there, but he is only 18 and dominate against older players. Remind me Chiarot, but he's only 18

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

schuelma24

Jul 14, 2023

Yeahhh, he's not going to be there. It's a shame, because he's exactly what the Wings could use: a physical goalscoring winger with some size who's a terror on the forecheck.

"Yeah..Iginla isn't going to be there."

Yeah...Sennecke isn't going to be there."

This can't be true for all of these forwards - someone good is going to drop to #15.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020

Never say never. Though I do think some team takes him between 8 and 12 before we get to the podium. I'm hoping that the basement teams focus on drafting the highly ranked D in this draft instead.

Reactions: Unfriendly Ghost

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018
Wyatt Johnston played 7 games of hockey in his draft year, none in the OHL.

Dallas is pretty fortunate he turned into a good player, props on them for taking the gamble, but that is not a thing we can or should be looking at trying to duplicate.
it wasnt as lucky as it may seem. Wyatt Johnston participated in a camp his draft year that Dallas put on.

Obviously he was on their radar for a while.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I guess we'll see in McKenzie's final list, but I believe he is rising. He's played quite well at the WC. He scored today, albeit against Denmark.
Iginla and Senecke made their way into the top 15 on his most recent list despite not being there previously.

Again I think this is a case where HF is valuing the player more than everywhere else seems to. But as McKenzie pointed out, there is not much consensus with this draft, and it only takes one team to like him to get him into the top 15.

I'll also be curious to see how many defenseman end up actually going top 15. I personally think about half the top 15 should be defenseman. We will see if that is the direction teams actually go.

it wasnt as lucky as it may seem. Wyatt Johnston participated in a camp his draft year that Dallas put on.

Obviously he was on their radar for a while.
I would say getting limited viewings of a player and having them miss basically a whole year of development and then still getting a good player out of that is pretty damn fortunate... but to each their own.

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018
Iginla and Senecke made their way into the top 15 on his most recent list despite not being there previously.

Again I think this is a case where HF is valuing the player more than everywhere else seems to. But as McKenzie pointed out, there is not much consensus with this draft, and it only takes one team to like him to get him into the top 15.

I'll also be curious to see how many defenseman end up actually going top 15. I personally think about half the top 15 should be defenseman. We will see if that is the direction teams actually go.

I would say getting limited viewings of a player and having them miss basically a whole year of development and then still getting a good player out of that is pretty damn fortunate... but to each their own.
i would argue they didnt get limited viewings of johnston, they had him on there radar that's why he was invited to there camp.

Agree with the player development to miss a year at that age and still come out as a top player so quickly. That is where the luck lays to a certain extent.

Reactions: RedHawkDown

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
Re Johnson: It was the Covid scouting year in 2021, many prospects especially in the CHL played less than full seasons and as in Cossa's case weird short seasons vs. limited number of teams. Aside from Wright, the top drafted former CHL guys McTavish and Clarke, played in Europe. Sillinger moved from the WHL to the USHL. The result was that few CHL-based players were picked in the top half of the Draft, NHL teams trusting more their evaluations of prospects who played more.

Johnston didn't come out of nowhere, he's always been considered a very good player. He was the 6th OA pick in the OHL Draft, played well at the Hockey Canada U17 tournament, was selected to the camp for the Hlinka Gretzky tournament which got cancelled, Dallas obviously liked him, made sure they got a close look at him during his inactive Draft season, had an opportunity at the U18 to gauge progress vs. other good players. Did they think he'd be this good? Probably not but you can't say for certain they didn't think he might be. He could have been top 10 on their draft list, the limited scouting opportunity for many prospects inevitably leading to even more differences in team boards than normal.

There is some degree of luck with almost every successful pick beyond the obvious top players, even if it's just luck that he was still available. In Johnston's case it may have been fortunate for Dallas he didn't play at all until the U18, and when he did it was on a stacked team of guys who'd played at least a little bit that season and may have stood out more simply because of that. But it's more likely someone on Dallas always believed in him and has been proved correct, not lucky.

Reactions: wingerdinger

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
i would argue they didnt get limited viewings of johnston, they had him on there radar that's why he was invited to there camp.

Agree with the player development to miss a year at that age and still come out as a top player so quickly. That is where the luck lays to a certain extent.
What are you talking about invite to camp… you mean the camp players get invited to after they’re picked?

And how are you arguing against limited viewings? The OHL literally didn’t play a game that year, and there are normally 50+ or 60 + viewing opportunities for scouts that just didn’t exist that year.

If I’m not mistaken, he played 7 games of hockey in his draft year. Even if they saw all of those games (I’m sure every team did given it was Team Canada and the u18s) that’s still a way smaller sample than you would normally get on someone in their draft season.

Props to them for having the balls to pull the trigger that high for an evaluation done mostly from the prior year. I believe every other team hedged their bets with their picks from the OHL that year.

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018
What are you talking about invite to camp… you mean the camp players get invited to after they’re picked?

And how are you arguing against limited viewings? The OHL literally didn’t play a game that year, and there are normally 50+ or 60 + viewing opportunities for scouts that just didn’t exist that year.

If I’m not mistaken, he played 7 games of hockey in his draft year. Even if they saw all of those games (I’m sure every team did given it was Team Canada and the u18s) that’s still a way smaller sample than you would normally get on someone in their draft season.

Props to them for having the balls to pull the trigger that high for an evaluation done mostly from the prior year. I believe every other team hedged their bets with their picks from the OHL that year.
I read somewhere the Stars held a camp for jrs players and that Johnston and Stankoven were standouts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad