SHL: 2022 Playoffs

Yozhik v tumane

Jan 2, 2019
True, but this is something I've seen time and time again as a Frölunda supporter. At some point all these unlucky bounces and missed half chances has become a pattern, we're not good at finishing our opportunities.

Lasch hasn't come to his own and Spacek has been pretty much invisible, and when they're not managing to setup other players there's pretty much no-one else who can do it (Söderblom is more of a dangler to get himself into scoring chances and Niederbach isn't trusted by the staff for some reason). I think the "system" that the players are instructed to play by is limiting the individual creativity too much, making us easy to prepare for. We never do anything unexpected. I like to compare this (and the last years rosters) with the one from 2016 where we applied high pressure and let the players (who in general were more skilled) play to their strengths.

Aftonbladet’s Hans Abrahamsson seemed to echo some of your sentiments in his series review.

Anyhow, congratulations on the season even though it ended earlier than you’d hoped. I know the disappointment, several times at the hands of your guys as a matter of fact, but I’m sure you’ll rebound stronger next year!

Reactions: Aahlstroem

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
How does Einar Emanuelsson produce so little points? He is very skilled. Super fast and very hardworking aswell. His brother is a good player aswell.

Reactions: Yozhik v tumane

Yozhik v tumane

Jan 2, 2019
How does Einar Emanuelsson produce so little points? He is very skilled. Super fast and very hardworking aswell. His brother is a good player aswell.

Good question that we’ve all been asking ourselves throughout this season.

I think the one major problem for him were the additions to the roster and increased competition this year. Emanuelsson has been a regular on the scoring lines for years prior, but whatever has been Omark’s line ate a lot of offensive zone ice time (especially early in the season, that seemed like the only line capable of scoring), with Komarek’s line taking most of what was left. We had months of being overstocked on forwards and Bulan trying out several formations to see what stuck. Unfortunately, Einar couldn’t play himself into a regular roster spot in the top scoring lines, and his defensive abilities are severely lacking. For the first couple of months, competition was even more brutal, before Vilmos Gallo jumped ship, but even since, kids like Mattsson, Nikupeteri and Muzik have made solid impressions on the third and fourth lines, putting Einar in the cycle of being in and out of the fourth line, the 13th forward, or even scratched at times.

Him losing his regular spot and having to prove himself with ever-dwindling opportunities, I can only imagine what that does to one’s confidence as a player. He gets on for a few minutes a game and tries his heart out, but it just hasn’t worked out consistently yet. These playoffs, I think especially since Komarek has been in and out of the lineup with injuries, has opened up some space for Einar to play more minutes and he’s looked as good as ever this season. Still, he hasn’t seemed able to get a break, despite working his ass off and creating nice scoring chances. I wonder how many posts he’s hit, seems like a lot.

Of course, he finally got to score again game #1 vs Färjestad, and it was a big one. Honka had just prior got the go-ahead 2-1 goal early in the first, before Einar beautifully netted the 3-1 goal that mentally finished the game for us. The cheers were amazing, people were crying and I was myself screaming like a madman. He’s such an immensely likable player, and he really deserves success. I really hope that one will get him going again.

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018
Good question that we’ve all been asking ourselves throughout this season.

I think the one major problem for him were the additions to the roster and increased competition this year. Emanuelsson has been a regular on the scoring lines for years prior, but whatever has been Omark’s line ate a lot of offensive zone ice time (especially early in the season, that seemed like the only line capable of scoring), with Komarek’s line taking most of what was left. We had months of being overstocked on forwards and Bulan trying out several formations to see what stuck. Unfortunately, Einar couldn’t play himself into a regular roster spot in the top scoring lines, and his defensive abilities are severely lacking. For the first couple of months, competition was even more brutal, before Vilmos Gallo jumped ship, but even since, kids like Mattsson, Nikupeteri and Muzik have made solid impressions on the third and fourth lines, putting Einar in the cycle of being in and out of the fourth line, the 13th forward, or even scratched at times.

Him losing his regular spot and having to prove himself with ever-dwindling opportunities, I can only imagine what that does to one’s confidence as a player. He gets on for a few minutes a game and tries his heart out, but it just hasn’t worked out consistently yet. These playoffs, I think especially since Komarek has been in and out of the lineup with injuries, has opened up some space for Einar to play more minutes and he’s looked as good as ever this season. Still, he hasn’t seemed able to get a break, despite working his ass off and creating nice scoring chances. I wonder how many posts he’s hit, seems like a lot.

Of course, he finally got to score again game #1 vs Färjestad, and it was a big one. Honka had just prior got the go-ahead 2-1 goal early in the first, before Einar beautifully netted the 3-1 goal that mentally finished the game for us. The cheers were amazing, people were crying and I was myself screaming like a madman. He’s such an immensely likable player, and he really deserves success. I really hope that one will get him going again.
Random question how you think Andreasson's gonna do in NA hockey. I'm personally a big fan love his skill with a hint of grittyness. That hit he threw in the Frolunda series was ferocious.

Yozhik v tumane

Jan 2, 2019
Random question how you think Andreasson's gonna do in NA hockey. I'm personally a big fan love his skill with a hint of grittyness. That hit he threw in the Frolunda series was ferocious.

Right now I’m pissed off at him for blowing chances and losing pucks in tonight’s game, but…

I think he’s built for the North American game and I hope he’ll do well. He’s strong on the puck and has a really nice shot. I’m however not sure he’s ready for the move yet, just one season into his SHL career and with his success largely driven by Omark, who’s in my opinion been league MVP, regular season and playoffs combined.

Reactions: wingerdinger

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018
Right now I’m pissed off at him for blowing chances and losing pucks in tonight’s game, but…

I think he’s built for the North American game and I hope he’ll do well. He’s strong on the puck and has a really nice shot. I’m however not sure he’s ready for the move yet, just one season into his SHL career and with his success largely driven by Omark, who’s in my opinion been league MVP, regular season and playoffs combined.
Lol, I know bad time to have asked the question. Should have when everything he was touching was turning into gold. I agree the Omark is the straw that stirs the drink, but I have Andreasson as playoff mvp so far.

Andreasson's in an inbetween spot. He definitely could use one more SHL season but he's already at age were if he wants a shot at the NHL he kinda needs to make the jump now.

It's too bad I only noticed this thread today. These playoffs have been brilliant. Especially watching from a Red Wings perspective.

Yozhik v tumane

Jan 2, 2019
Lol, I know bad time to have asked the question. Should have when everything he was touching was turning into gold. I agree the Omark is the straw that stirs the drink, but I have Andreasson as playoff mvp so far.

Andreasson's in an inbetween spot. He definitely could use one more SHL season but he's already at age were if he wants a shot at the NHL he kinda needs to make the jump now.

It's too bad I only noticed this thread today. These playoffs have been brilliant. Especially watching from a Red Wings perspective.

Yeah, fair point with regards to his age. He’s somewhat of a late bloomer who’s fought for every opportunity at the next level he’s made and then ran with it, and there’s no point in telling him the NHL would be a bridge too far at this point. Go get ‘em.

Out of curiosity, being out of the loop: what are the other Red Wings prospects you’ve been looking at these playoffs?

Anyhow, Andreasson’s been super clutch and the perfect linemate for Omark, for sure. As a Luleå fan, it’s so rare to see his player type on my team. We tend to have a bunch of good playmakers and grinders, guys who either overthink and waste their opportunities or who are digging deep to force a garbage goal, but never seem to get those natural finishers that make it look easy: until Andreasson emerged as just that.

And the way it’s happened as well… they’ve had objectively bad games at times these playoffs, been shut down completely at every attempt for entire periods, and still got the one opportunity to win us a game and done so. If that’s not clutch, I don’t know what is.

But that being said, there’s no question for me Omark is the MVP. Andreasson drew a suspension and missed two games versus Frölunda that we won, and Omark didn’t miss a beat.

Then Andreasson (and Rask) were out of tonight’s game for reasons unknown. Who took his spot in the lineup and KILLED it? Einar Emanuelsson! 2+1, including the OT game winner!

I love that little guy.

And I don’t know how many times he forced himself through Färjestad’s defense when it seemed like they had all of Luleå’s numbers. What an amazing redemption tale.

Makes you wonder about his role with a full roster moving forward.

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018
Yeah, fair point with regards to his age. He’s somewhat of a late bloomer who’s fought for every opportunity at the next level he’s made and then ran with it, and there’s no point in telling him the NHL would be a bridge too far at this point. Go get ‘em.

Out of curiosity, being out of the loop: what are the other Red Wings prospects you’ve been looking at these playoffs?

Anyhow, Andreasson’s been super clutch and the perfect linemate for Omark, for sure. As a Luleå fan, it’s so rare to see his player type on my team. We tend to have a bunch of good playmakers and grinders, guys who either overthink and waste their opportunities or who are digging deep to force a garbage goal, but never seem to get those natural finishers that make it look easy: until Andreasson emerged as just that.

And the way it’s happened as well… they’ve had objectively bad games at times these playoffs, been shut down completely at every attempt for entire periods, and still got the one opportunity to win us a game and done so. If that’s not clutch, I don’t know what is.

But that being said, there’s no question for me Omark is the MVP. Andreasson drew a suspension and missed two games versus Frölunda that we won, and Omark didn’t miss a beat.

Then Andreasson (and Rask) were out of tonight’s game for reasons unknown. Who took his spot in the lineup and KILLED it? Einar Emanuelsson! 2+1, including the OT game winner!

I love that little guy.

And I don’t know how many times he forced himself through Färjestad’s defense when it seemed like they had all of Luleå’s numbers. What an amazing redemption tale.

Makes you wonder about his role with a full roster moving forward.
Yeah, it was a fantastic game. I thought Farjestad was destined to complete the comeback! Einar's ot winner was such a high level toe drag and release all in one motion using the defender as a screen. Hockey at it's absolute finest.

It's great to see Emauelsson have a bounce back payoffs. He's the one I expected to have the type of big breakout season Andreasson ended up having.

The others wing prospects I've been following are/were Farjestad's Albert Johansson. Whose play has taken a step up during the playoffs, but admittedly had a poor game. That miscommunication between him and Furch that lend to prolonged offensive zone time and Lulea's 4th goal was infuriating. It frustrated me a heck of a lot more than the turnover for the 3rd goal. All in all Albert's been a top 5 defensemen so far this playoffs, so I'm still very pleased.

Frolunda's Simon Edvinsson, Elmer Soderblom and Theo Niederbach all wing draft picks. They had okay playoffs elmer continues to be a fascinating prospect, with Edvinsson destined to be a big time minute muncher. Hopefully Niederbach can add some explosiveness to his game. I love his hockey IQ his body just needs to catch up.

Finally Rogle's William Wallinder who especially surprised with the massive jump in play he had over the course of the entire season.

Yozhik v tumane

Jan 2, 2019
Yeah, it was a fantastic game. I thought Farjestad was destined to complete the comeback! Einar's ot winner was such a high level toe drag and release all in one motion using the defender as a screen. Hockey at it's absolute finest.

It's great to see Emauelsson have a bounce back payoffs. He's the one I expected to have the type of big breakout season Andreasson ended up having.

The others wing prospects I've been following are/were Farjestad's Albert Johansson. Whose play has taken a step up during the playoffs, but admittedly had a poor game. That miscommunication between him and Furch that lend to prolonged offensive zone time and Lulea's 4th goal was infuriating. It frustrated me a heck of a lot more than the turnover for the 3rd goal. All in all Albert's been a top 5 defensemen so far this playoffs, so I'm still very pleased.

Frolunda's Simon Edvinsson, Elmer Soderblom and Theo Niederbach all wing draft picks. They had okay playoffs elmer continues to be a fascinating prospect, with Edvinsson destined to be a big time minute muncher. Hopefully Niederbach can add some explosiveness to his game. I love his hockey IQ his body just needs to catch up.

Finally Rogle's William Wallinder who especially surprised with the massive jump in play he had over the course of the entire season.

I too thought they would complete the comeback, since all good things always seem to come to an end for my team. Lindqvist celebrated his 4-4 goal in front of the section I stood in, grinned and made mocking gestures at us, so I’m more than pleased we got the last laugh (although it terrifies me that we weren’t able to close a 3-0 or a 4-2 lead).

Ahh alright, crazy how many prospects you have on the best playoff teams!

It’s impressive how mature Edvinsson’s game is already. Söderblom is fascinating I agree, weird blend of size and skill, though I felt he rarely looked much of a threat in the semifinals, guess I’d say he needs to get his toolbox arranged in order to realize his potential. Could become a monster. Niederbach I thought maybe was underutilized, looked good for glimpses.

Didn’t catch as much of Rögle’s playoffs since my team avoided playing them, but Wallinder in my mind has been one of several “nondescript” defensemen on an admittedly solid defensive core (where Ekeståhl-Jonsson was the one exclamation point), which I say because I’ve felt they were able to improve on their previous regular season record despite losing a lot of their shine since. I mean, Seider last year and Curran the season prior were monumental for them on the blueline, and as you alluded to, Wallinder improved on his RS in an impressive way.

I seem to remember in their last glory days Detroit at some point sported an all-Swedish lineup for a game (save for the goalie, or was the Monster there at that point?), it’s pretty cool that the Swedish pipeline continues to serve the Wings well.

Yozhik v tumane

Jan 2, 2019
Goddammit, that was ours to lose, I really felt we had it. Ridiculously awful mistakes first by Omark — following which we miraculously survived three prime chances against us — then by Lepistö and finally Fröberg: just dump the puck, you were hardly pressed at all.

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018
Goddammit, that was ours to lose, I really felt we had it. Ridiculously awful mistakes first by Omark — following which we miraculously survived three prime chances against us — then by Lepistö and finally Fröberg: just dump the puck, you were hardly pressed at all.
how r u feeling. is today the day?

Yozhik v tumane

Jan 2, 2019
how r u feeling. is today the day?

We’ll be upwards 15 people watching the game in my small Malmö apartment due to my hype job, so I sure hope so! But I’m extremely nervous, not the least for the prospects of a game 7.

My pessimistic bet is we’ll have a gut wrenching, prolonged overtime loss tonight, and return home for the letdown of a century. Hopefully I’m dead wrong.

Everything may turn to dust but I’m planning to enjoy this run while it lasts!

How about you?

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018
We’ll be upwards 15 people watching the game in my small Malmö apartment due to my hype job, so I sure hope so! But I’m extremely nervous, not the least for the prospects of a game 7.

My pessimistic bet is we’ll have a gut wrenching, prolonged overtime loss tonight, and return home for the letdown of a century. Hopefully I’m dead wrong.

Everything may turn to dust but I’m planning to enjoy this run while it lasts!

How about you?
As a neutral, I'm just really enjoying the hockey. The atmosphere's been palpable, the hockey has been desperate and immaculate at the same time. The swings and roundabouts from game to game to moment to moment has all been fantastic to follow. From a selfish perspective Id like this series to go to a game 7, I don't want to get off this ride.

I hope the best for you. Sounds like you got a great viewing party together. Enjoy the game.

Yozhik v tumane

Jan 2, 2019
Apparently, Andreasson and Omark will be split up tonight, with Andreasson appearing on Komarek and Fröberg’s line, while Einar gets another opportunity with Omark and Tyrväinen. Genius move? Not sure. So nervous!

Howe Elbows 9

Sep 16, 2007
Sweden
Nothing against FBK, but really wanted Luleå to win it. I wonder how long Bulan will stay in Luleå.

I agree with this post. I am happy that the drafted prospects Albert Johansson and Joel Nyström now can call themselves SHL champions, though. Also, I'm somewhat surprised that Wallstedt didn't get to start a single playoff game.

Yozhik v tumane

Jan 2, 2019
Also, I'm somewhat surprised that Wallstedt didn't get to start a single playoff game.

It’s unfortunate for him, but understandable in my opinion. I believe he missed almost two months to a groin injury, before coming back to start the final game of the season versus Malmö, where he did well (got the shutout, I believe), however was hardly tested at all and it’s difficult to say whether he was 100% or not going into the playoffs. Lassinantti earned the start, played very well most games, kept his calm and has more experience with these types of games.

The Örebro series while only lasting five rounds were unbelievably closely fought matches almost 100% thanks to Enroth and their team defense, and in games like that it felt important not to mess around with Lassinantti’s calm presence in net as Örebro kept frustrating our scorers.

Frölunda was also a much closer series than the 4-1 result implies, and Lassinantti’s game 4 shutout when his team had almost nothing going for it and couldn’t catch a break in terms of creating offense of its own, felt like it paved the way for us into the finals.

And then we’re in an absolute draw of a finals matchup, where Lassinantti’s cemented as our starter and again, it would have been ridiculous to take a chance on Wallstedt with Lassinantti healthy.

Lastly, the 1a/1b situation lasting for much of the season got severely challenged by Wallstedt’s injury. I’ve also felt that once Lassinantti got back into his groove after a slow start to the season, he’s been the more reliable goaltender over Wallstedt. There’s also the memory from last year’s quarterfinals looming, where poor young Wallstedt’s shoddy goaltending arguably cost us the one game he started. I say it was the correct decision to go with the veteran in this case.

Reactions: Howe Elbows 9

Jahara

Sep 25, 2018
Entertaining games and a surprise winner since Luleå were slightly better overall. But what were the referees doing during the last game? They missed several obvious things, tried to compensate and could barely control the game.

Tyrväinen should have been off after that elbow and they did not take two obvious penalties when Luleå players was brought down just before the first and second goal. Can not remember when I saw such a weak game from referees, and this time in a game seven.

Yozhik v tumane

Jan 2, 2019
Entertaining games and a surprise winner since Luleå were slightly better overall. But what were the referees doing during the last game? They missed several obvious things, tried to compensate and could barely control the game.

Tyrväinen should have been off after that elbow and they did not take two obvious penalties when Luleå players was brought down just before the first and second goal. Can not remember when I saw such a weak game from referees, and this time in a game seven.

I think the refs kept out of trouble by not calling anything for the first half of the game. There were a ton of pretty easy calls, both ways, that they chose to ignore, and indeed Tyrväinen got lucky. Färjestad’s fans got some ammunition to claim Luleå as the dirty team favored by the refs! And I kind of thought the level was fine, the players played relatively honest, the refs laid the line somewhere and if not right, it still worked better than the inconsistency of previous games.

So when they finally take a penalty on Omark, you start scratching your head, but maybe he’d been pushing his luck for a while with hooks and whatnot.

And I think they 100% drop the ball at the end, it was a pathetic display, good grief this all turned to shit, bleh

Reactions: Jahara

Jahara

Sep 25, 2018
I think the refs kept out of trouble by not calling anything for the first half of the game. There were a ton of pretty easy calls, both ways, that they chose to ignore, and indeed Tyrväinen got lucky. Färjestad’s fans got some ammunition to claim Luleå as the dirty team favored by the refs! And I kind of thought the level was fine, the players played relatively honest, the refs laid the line somewhere and if not right, it still worked better than the inconsistency of previous games.

So when they finally take a penalty on Omark, you start scratching your head, but maybe he’d been pushing his luck for a while with hooks and whatnot.

And I think they 100% drop the ball at the end, it was a pathetic display, good grief this all turned to shit, bleh
Omark had a crosschecking against the head on a opponent but they did not take that one in the first period. Instead they took a minor thing on Omark in the second period and a really weak one on Fröberg. In the third they just dared to take high sticking calls that was obvious. Not even sure about the one that hit Erik Gustafsson since his head was really low.

But overall it was a bit sad to see it. Funny thing that one of the referees is born and raised in Boden and the other one in Skellefteå.

Yozhik v tumane

Jan 2, 2019
During the finals I began power ranking our players’ playoff season. I’m too invested in and biased towards Luleå to rank Färjestad, however I think Åslund for MVP was… well, the most stomachable Färjestad candidate. He averaged almost five minutes less than Omark and beat him with one more point over two more games played in the playoffs. I think Omark, yes from the losing team, should have been MVP. He had a Forsberg in 1994-like run, in a way, however with admittedly a much superior supporting cast. For a Färjestad candidate I think Tomas Mitell or even Lasse Falk, the former Djurgården and Frölunda head coach with no relation to Färjestad, deserved the MVP status as the latter’s dead puck era philosophy which the league has tried to bury in the past with rule changes and more rigorous enforcement of obstruction penalties for the last few years, was premiered by the zealless refereeing in the playoffs. If I’m to try and forget about the bitter feelings, I’d say De La Rose would have been a deserving MVP for his relentless work on limiting Omark to 3 points over the finals, although I think Andreasson’s vanishing act with regards to his scoring did the ultimate trick. When Färjestad was dialing in on Omark over the games Andreasson missed, it’s remarkable how that freed up extra space for Einar Emanuelsson to amend his woeful season at just the right time. I’m not so convinced Omark was shut down by Färjestad’s grinders as much as he was by Andreasson losing his mojo. Awarding De La Rose the MVP would have been fair though: hooking and grabbing was the name of the gold medal winning game, the league should not prevaricate on it, just because other teams have tried to adapt to another reality.

I guess I cannot not be bitter.

But Åslund, yeah, he’s a fine candidate.

Firstly, he’s a likable player on a distinctly unlikable team. Great two way player, humble guy, and provided very timely scoring in the finals. Guy actually led his team in blocked shots and was second only to Erik Gustafsson for either team in the finals. Over the entire playoffs, he’s third behind Gustafsson and Engsund, and blocked 7 more shots than the next one (De La Rose) in that regard, while leading the playoffs in points. I can’t pretend that he wasn’t a worthy MVP, I just thought Omark deserved his due as the best player in the SHL.

Alright, enough of this, here’s my Luleå player ranking for these playoffs:

1. Linus Omark
  2. Erik Gustafsson
  3. Oscar Engsund
  4. Sami Lepistö
  5. Joel Lassinantti
  6. Julius Honka
  7. Einar Emanuelsson
  8. Juhani Tyrväinen
  9. Pontus Andreasson
  10. Isac Brännström

Färjestad is the first team of the playoffs relatively able to neutralize Omark (3 assists in 5 games), through relentless shadowing efforts. I think part of why they’ve been able to limit him, is the absence of Andreasson on the line for two games, and his scoring drying up after the quarterfinals in general, but in the finals particularly. I still had Andreasson ranked highly before the finals, but he’s sunk like a rock since. You can’t miss 6 playoff games and be ranked that high, but he deserves huge credit for his clockwork scoring in the quarterfinals and ability to protect the puck on a level near Omark’s.

All Luleå defensemen deserve praise for their playoffs. Sami Lepistö’s ability to balance solid defense and elite offense from the blueline has been amazing, however I feel I have to drop him a few rungs for a few glaring hiccups in the finals especially, where either he failed to close out his side of the offensive blue line leading to counter attacks, failing to clear the zone prior to Färjestad’s OT home victory, and most pointedly a lack of discipline which had him lead Luleå in PIMs in the finals with 14 to runner-up Shinnimin’s 8.

I’m tempted to promote Engsund even higher, as I think his play off the puck has been absolutely flawless and path finding for us at times when the team were struggling to get out of their own end. And it hurt trying to play deep into Luleå’s zone: Engsund led the playoffs with 41 hits, 8 more than Färjestad’s Ejdsell. Then there’s Honka, who I think took another step in the finals and utilized what’s arguably our best shot from the blueline a bit more often, and had two game winners.

But at the end of the day, Erik Gustafsson gets the nod for 2nd MVP of our run to the finals. Call it hyperbole, but he’s Lidström light as far as I’m concerned. A heart and soul captain for us, does almost everything well but focuses mainly on nailing down the fundamentals and letting his partner go on adventures. Gustafsson led the playoffs in blocked shots with 36, was second to Växjö’s Joel Persson (who was swept, with 3/4 games decided in overtime) in average ice time, led Luleå with +9 for the playoffs and +6 in the finals, and put up 7 points to boot, including an amusing Kent Nilsson-esque goal.

For the rest of the ranking, Joel Lassinantti of course has been a very comforting presence in net with I think exactly two outright
stolen games: once in a 2-0 away win versus Frölunda that must have been beyond disheartening for them, and once in game 5 versus Färjestad which ended in a 4-0 blowout, however was 1-0 several minutes into the third period when Lassinantti made an impossible desperation stick save on an empty net to preserve the lead.

As the defensive conscience and crucially the faceoff winner on Omark’s line, in addition to his gritty physical presence, I cannot ignore Tyrväinen on this list, however he hasn’t been quite the dominant factor he was against Skellefteå when we stretched that series to seven games the previous spring. Those seven games he clocked in at 15 hits, and memorably scared the molasses out of Skellefteå’s defensemen as they were retrieving pucks along their halfboards: over the 2022 playoffs he’s tallied 15 hits over all three series combined. I’ve wondered if he’s been playing through injury, but it’s also quite possible he’s felt the need to temper his physical play following suspensions in the regular season.

I gave Einar the nod over Tyrväinen with a whole batch of finals bias: he brought his game back at just the right time, weaved through Färjestad’s stingy defense and scored all of his five goals in the finals. Probably the most likable player in the world, and the most heartwarming of redemption stories.

I weighed between Brännström and Connolly for the 10th spot on my list. Brännström gets the nod for his gritty, hard working and moderately skilled two way play, and particularly for his tendency to win the puck, skate it up the ice and waste time off the clock while allowing his teammates a line change on the PK.

Biggest playoff disappointments:

Komarek, he must have played injured, right? During his brief stint with us before covid closed out the 2020 playoffs, he single-handedly fixed the power play which was the big question mark on that iteration of the team. He did miss games due to injury, but in the games since he returned, he’s just looked off. The PP got nothing done in the finals, but when Komarek’s unit was on, that’s when you knew it would go scoreless.

Also, Fröberg: he pulls his weight defensively, but is also rather inconsistent, and prone to mistakes. Offensively, he never really lived up to his reputation, and as the player we saw in Växjö (particularly, as we knew we couldn’t expect him to carry a team following the HV71 stint).

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad