Seravalli: Zadorov thinks he can get 6X6

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Zadorov is much better than people here are giving him credit for. I'd have no problem going $30 mil for him, whether that be 6x 5 or 5x6.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
This shouldn't be a shock. He asked for a trade from Calgary because they wouldn't give him as much money and term as he wanted. He'll try and get it somewhere else.

6x6 is a lot though for a guy who should be a number 5 on a good team.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
This shouldn't be a shock. He asked for a trade from Calgary because they wouldn't give him as much money and term as he wanted. He'll try and get it somewhere else.

He kind of disappeared in the back half of last series too. That won't help him out.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010

Specific number squabbling aside, he's a big, prime-aged middle three Defenseman (whether that's #3, #4, #5 isn't super relevant as it depends on team/deployment and it's usually a tight range).

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Gudbranson got 4x4 a few years ago. Cap is going up, he has an argument for that.

That said with the rumors of Brad trying to get him this whole time out there, it scares me. I loved that Dubas never signed those boat anchor Clarkson / Bolland / LACK / Muskoka 5 contracts the Leafs always seemed to have and was scared Treliving would give those out. This report makes me even more nervous.

Aoko

Order has now fallen.
Dec 14, 2017
I've seen worse July 1st contracts being issued out. A lot worse.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I think folks are underestimating how much cash is out there. I think he get it, or at least close.

I'm not sure he can get 6x6, but its absolutely true that people are underestimating how much cash is out there.

I'm thinking more about the good RD UFAs who people seem to think will all sign cheap contracts.

Bond

May 10, 2012
Zadorov is much better than people here are giving him credit for. I'd have no problem going $30 mil for him, whether that be 6x 5 or 5x6.
Good luck with that lol. Instantly will age like the Myers contract

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary
If Taylor Swift tickets are running close to $95k per, I’ve no doubt a reliable top-4 defenseman with a physical edge and better than you’d expect offense will get 6x6.

Free market economics, baby.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
If Taylor Swift tickets are running close to $95k per, I’ve no doubt a reliable top-4 defenseman with a physical edge and better than you’d expect offense will get 6x6.

Free market economics, baby.
The issue is he’s not a reliable top-4 defenceman. He’s ideally a number 5, who could play as a 4 if needed. You don’t want to be paying a number 5 that much money.

The Flames used him as a 5. I believe the Canucks did too, although I don’t follow the Canucks that closely so I’m not 100% sure. He was 5th by TOI for their defencemen though.

Last edited:

Bond

May 10, 2012
The issue is he’s not a reliable top-4 defenceman. He’s ideally a number 5, who could play as a 4 if needed. You don’t want to be paying a number 5 that much money.

The Flames used him as a 5. I believe the Canucks did too, although I don’t follow the Canucks that closely so I’m not 100% sure. He was 5th by TOI for their defencemen though.
He’s a #5 that kind of looks like a #4 at times and is big and mean. I had zero interest in him on the Flames at 5x5.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010

He’s a #5 that kind of looks like a #4 at times and is big and mean. I had zero interest in him on the Flames at 5x5.
You guys are so caught up in number, 3-5 are all interchangeable on good teams.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
He'll get it, or close to it. People around here seem to have memory loss when convenient. Time and time again GMs have proven they're incapable of avoiding big Dmen regardless of age. Zabarov just had a pretty good playoffs. He is the very type of player GMs have wet dreams about. He'll have no trouble finding a home at that cost.

Pure West

Oct 3, 2005
Vancouver
You can see the drooling from Toronto (media/fans/Treliving) for this guy all the way on the Pacific Coast. He's probably gonna get that if he wants to sign for the max money and term. He's been a great addition to the team and we acquired him at a ridiculous bargain in hindsight for a 3rd round pick in 2026.

I know he had a great playoff and I'd love to have him back but at 6x6 its a choice between him and Hronek I take Hronek. Wish him well. Great teammate and person, and unique skillset. On a team that has more bargain contracts or ELC's maybe you can do it but not on the Canucks this year.

Bond

May 10, 2012
You guys are so caught up in number, 3-5 are all interchangeable on good teams.
Nah man, I watched him enough on the Flames to have no desire at a 5x5, he simply isn't a top 4 defender imo. Weegar, Andersson, Tanev, and Hanifin are top 4 dmen. Zadarov could play on the second pairing but he was much better on the third pairing and more limited minutes.

6x6 will be worse than the Gudbrasnon contract.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver

I don't know... Vancouver was a pretty good team this year... In the playoffs Zadorov was 3rd in overall ice time / GP at 20:09 mins. Overall, he was a difference maker for us, and a fan favorite, I would love it if we found a way to retain him.

I would pay him 5mil x 6 years without thinking twice.

Reactions: BCNate

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Nah man, I watched him enough on the Flames to have no desire at a 5x5,
Well yes, Flames are a bad team so it'd be pretty foolish of them to be spending 5x5 on any 29 year old when they need to rebuild to the extent they can around some of their current deals. For a good team, it can be worth the gamble even if you eat some bad years at the end to get some value at the start.

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
Think I have seen this episode before. He's going to hold out for a payday until no one has the cap space left for it and sign a one year deal at 4M with a poor team. Then he will go on to have a poor season with said team, because he will be exposed, and get offere 4M deals next off season.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
6x6 is completely reasonable for a D man of his attributes.. especially with the future cap projections. Today's 6mil cap # will feel more like 4-5 in a couple yrs...

Difference making size, reach and physically. Mobile, puck moving capability with a strong shot.
Good PKer, tough in the corners, difficult to play against.
Then you have the personality... Tocchet raving about his locker room demeanor.. keeps his teammates loose... Crowd favorite.

Kid has it all minus high end offense and being a lefty instead of a righty.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
yes even after the great run he had with us he still was a #5. Soucy and Myers did the heavy lifting in a shut down role against the top lines and Hughes and Hronek pushed the offense and big minutes in transition.

He's a unicorn player because of his size/strength, shot, skating speed and is a smart cool customer who is a wall to a 3rd pair but asking too much of him in minutes due to his contract will probably leave a team wishing they didn't have so much locked in too low on a depth chart.

As a nucks fan would love to have him back and realize the ask is now in the 35-36 million range. Maybe they structure something over 7 years to get to a good number but with Soucy and Hughes i'm not sure it's a good move as they need to keep flexibility higher in the order.

Bond

May 10, 2012
yes even after the great run he had with us he still was a #5. Soucy and Myers did the heavy lifting in a shut down role against the top lines and Hughes and Hronek pushed the offense and big minutes in transition.

He's a unicorn player because of his size/strength, shot, skating speed and is a smart cool customer who is a wall to a 3rd pair but asking too much of him in minutes due to his contract will probably leave a team wishing they didn't have so much locked in too low on a depth chart.
This a great description of him and exactly how I felt about his role on the Flames. Paid appropriately and I want him on any team but at his ask then no thanks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad