GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
At the same time, I don't think they will trade marner just for the sake of trading him, so if the return doesn't line up I expect that they will be just as happy to keep him.
I really don't think Tre wants to have another Johnny Hockey scenario on his resume, I mean unless he wants to be cooking pizzas for daddy as his next gig.............

Reactions: ToneDog

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
I can't say that I've watched much of Brady Skjei. How would current Skjei compare to Brodie when the Leafs signed him? Better/worse?
Better offensively by a bigger gap than defensive difference between the two

Risk is Skeji is almost 30, and wants a bag (7M+ probably)

HE would be a great 2D if Rielly was a RHD who was better defensively

With Rielly here at 7.5M, Skeji at 6.5-7M is kind of a tough sell imo

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Better offensively by a bigger gap than defensive difference between the two

Risk is Skeji is almost 30, and wants a bag (7M+ probably)

HE would be a great 2D if Rielly was a RHD who was better defensively

With Rielly here at 7.5M, Skeji at 6.5-7M is kind of a tough sell imo
He’d drop Rielly to the 2nd pairing where he could be much more effective, and Skjei doesn’t need his partner to be the pairings anchor defensively. If we could also land a Walker or Carrier they would be fine paired with him. Any RHD would really.
Could also turn Benoit into a nice trade chip, and we can sell high for a change on a 1-dimensional Dman, and have enough LHD to handle the #7 role.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
He’d drop Rielly to the 2nd pairing where he could be much more effective, and Skjei doesn’t need his partner to be the pairings anchor defensively. If we could also land a Walker or Carrier they would be fine paired with him. Any RHD would really.
Could also turn Benoit into a nice trade chip, and we can sell high for a change on a 1-dimensional Dman, and have enough LHD to handle the #7 role.
dropping Rielly to the second pairing is a great idea, almost as freat as trading him for a D man that can defend............

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
dropping Rielly to the second pairing is a great idea, almost as freat as trading him for a D man that can defend............

Getting rid of Rielly is probably the best option in terms of rebuilding the blueline from top down, and achieving a shakeup of the Big/Core/Muskoka 5 from a culture POV.

Reactions: ToneDog

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Perhaps. but a $3M player in Toronto also has a whole lot more options in terms of advertising his name/brand than he does in Florida. Those 20k, 50k, 80k, 150k deals add up. Not to mention the "unofficial" stuff that comes with playing here.

Plus they're making USD and living on the CDN peso during the season.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Getting rid of Rielly is probably the best option in terms of rebuilding the blueline from top down, and achieving a shakeup of the Big/Core/Muskoka 5 from a culture POV.
If he's one of the players they've identified as a problem internally, sure... I just don't see that as the likely case though to be honest. I'm referring to the Shanahan comments, and shaking up the culture, and problem players.

Having said that... if you can swap him out for Skjei... and pick up assets, without really affecting the cap... well why not? We certainly could use some changes in the lineup.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Treliving gotta go to work man. I want more in house moves done before the draft. Finalize the assistant coaches and then re-sign some players (Bertuzzi, Domi etc...)

When the draft and free agency come around, I want him fully Focused on trades and signings

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

Rielly’s been the only one to take a reasonable deal, especially in his latest contract. He’s also been one of the more consistent playoff performers in the bunch.

A revamped blue line is needed but moving Rielly isn’t the core shakeup/culture change you think it’d be

Reactions: SeaOfBlue

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad