OT: The Avalounge (mod warning - No Politics)

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Parise's away jersey currently the most expensive of the lot. Can't they just give him it rather than making him buy it?

GeoRox89

Tricky Trees
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
Parise's away jersey currently the most expensive of the lot. Can't they just give him it rather than making him buy it?
One of the Makar’s is up to $8500 now for reasons

Confused why they set the FMV and bid at $500 on what should just be a team issued Tatar where the real value is in stripping and redoing it because they won’t publicly sell the MiCs. They’re only worth about 400 if that’s what you’re doing

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton

Confused why they set the FMV and bid at $500 on what should just be a team issued Tatar where the real value is in stripping and redoing it because they won’t publicly sell the MiCs. They’re only worth about 400 if that’s what you’re doing
That's what I'd like to do but all those jerseys are way too big for me to wear. Even little G is a size 54.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012

It is a charity auction. Any amount above the FMV is considered a charitable contribution for tax purposes.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012

You clearly have too much money so it's noble that you're trying to rectify that via charity.

• Haha
Reactions: GeoRox89

GeoRox89

Tricky Trees
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
That's what I'd like to do but all those jerseys are way too big for me to wear. Even little G is a size 54.
Allegedly, they’re going to start selling the MiCs next year in all the sizes. I hate fanatics but for the first year only they’re supposed to be made at the same factory and really just a logo swap so might be worth it next year
It is a charity auction. Any amount above the FMV is considered a charitable contribution for tax purposes.
It is if you’re US based (or have US capital gains to offset against). That’s just way too high of a FMV for the Tatar when the others are 250 and the real price you’d pay for a TI/GI jersey is ~400

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
It is if you’re US based (or have US capital gains to offset against). That’s just way too high of a FMV for the Tatar when the others are 250 and the real price you’d pay for a TI/GI jersey is ~400
Yeah this is for US based stuff... and you get into weird complex rules that may or may not apply to specific people. Big picture, for people to take advantage of this deduction, they have to itemize. Last I remember (been a few years) less than 10% of taxpayers itemize under new US tax laws... so honestly pretty useless.

With Tatar they are selling 2 jerseys in a lot. A single jersey is $250 FMV. Just look at the 3 Makar set, it isi $750 FMV. These are just numbers they really just set. The have to be 'realistic' but are not actually reviewed or regulated in any real manner (they are but we are getting into nuance in IRS publications). If we are being realistic, most places estimate this low to raise the amount of the contribute. They just set $250 per jersey, $100 per puck, etc.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
100 dollars for a puck vs. 250 for a jersey seems like a massive ripoff for the former. Surely they make pucks using a salami slicer on a giant cylinder of rubber? Just fire it through and slice. Not anything intricate or with different materials like a jersey.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
100 dollars for a puck vs. 250 for a jersey seems like a massive ripoff for the former. Surely they make pucks using a salami slicer on a giant cylinder of rubber? Just fire it through and slice. Not anything intricate or with different materials like a jersey.
The pucks today have sensors and a circuit board built in and cost roughly ~$50 to produce... then there's the printing, the fact that it was a goal puck, etc. It is just a number though.

GeoRox89

Tricky Trees
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
Yeah this is for US based stuff... and you get into weird complex rules that may or may not apply to specific people. Big picture, for people to take advantage of this deduction, they have to itemize. Last I remember (been a few years) less than 10% of taxpayers itemize under new US tax laws... so honestly pretty useless.

With Tatar they are selling 2 jerseys in a lot. A single jersey is $250 FMV. Just look at the 3 Makar set, it isi $750 FMV. These are just numbers they really just set. The have to be 'realistic' but are not actually reviewed or regulated in any real manner (they are but we are getting into nuance in IRS publications). If we are being realistic, most places estimate this low to raise the amount of the contribute. They just set $250 per jersey, $100 per puck, etc.
I definitely missed that it was a pair of them for the Tatar. That makes sense then.

It’s a known thing in the collecting community that the prices go up when it’s a charity auction. The ones that meigray does are usually cheaper.

The FMV makes a big difference bringing it through the border too. You only get charged taxes on that amount instead of the sales price. EBay you get dinged on the sales price and the EIS hub are a bunch of clowns who can’t figure out how to fill out a customs form (they love to just say everything is made in China and not bother to actually check the listing) and then you have to wait months for CBSA to fix eBay’s mistake and refund the duty that shouldn’t have been applied

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I definitely missed that it was a pair of them for the Tatar. That makes sense then.

It’s a known thing in the collecting community that the prices go up when it’s a charity auction. The ones that meigray does are usually cheaper.

The FMV makes a big difference bringing it through the border too. You only get charged taxes on that amount instead of the sales price. EBay you get dinged on the sales price and the EIS hub are a bunch of clowns who can’t figure out how to fill out a customs form (they love to just say everything is made in China and not bother to actually check the listing) and then you have to wait months for CBSA to fix eBay’s mistake and refund the duty that shouldn’t have been applied
Yeah that's probably the case with customs rules. I don't deal with that much in my world, but deal with the charity auction side very extensively in my work life. Publication 1771 is legit saved on my desktop to reference all the time. :laugh:

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I've finally got around to playing Franchise Mode in NHL 24. When did the games descend into organising spreadsheets that are designed as unintuitively as possible? Why does it feel like the whole game's design is centred around making me not bother actually playing games?

And how likely is an expansion Colorado Rockies with EJ, Kadri and Zadorov as the captain and alternates?

Reactions: UncleRisto

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I've finally got around to playing Franchise Mode in NHL 24. When did the games descend into organising spreadsheets that are designed as unintuitively as possible? Why does it feel like the whole game's design is centred around making me not bother actually playing games?

And how likely is an expansion Colorado Rockies with EJ, Kadri and Zadorov as the captain and alternates?
The menu design thing is really interesting. Sometime in the 2010's they optimized the menus to the point where scrolling trades, rosters, lineups and whatever else in GM Mode was completely automatic to me. 2014 I stopped buying. Then when I came back for NHL 22, the menus were intentionally slower than in 2003, moving in all kinds of weird directions for no reason, and the trigger buttons switch god knows what on the little spreadsheets.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO

They don't want people playing franchise mode anymore. That makes them little to no money. They just want to sell you player cards in their "Ultimate Team" mode.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
The menu design thing is really interesting. Sometime in the 2010's they optimized the menus to the point where scrolling trades, rosters, lineups and whatever else in GM Mode was completely automatic to me. 2014 I stopped buying. Then when I came back for NHL 22, the menus were intentionally slower than in 2003, moving in all kinds of weird directions for no reason, and the trigger buttons switch god knows what on the little spreadsheets.
I did the expansion draft and by the time the season started I realised it had either drafted or signed a bunch of players I hadn't picked. I realised this when Dallas offered me a trade of Logan Stankoven for Ryan Hartman.

I also didn't realise this until a few games into preseason when I had three extra defensemen on the team than I needed. I had one of them playing on the 4th line and Leo Carlsson in the minors.

I also struggled with making signings or trades in the offseason because during the offseason there isn't a way of setting or seeing what your lines are, only your full roster list.

This also doesn't even touch on how slow they are. I thought the online menus were bad, but they at least had the excuse of being... online. And I'm on the PS4, so maybe they're not that optimised. But they're not any better here.

And why is the scoreboard at the bottom of the screen? And why am I being asked about fixing the toilets or changing the price of hot dogs?
They don't want people playing franchise mode anymore. That makes them little to no money. They just want to sell you player cards in their "Ultimate Team" mode.
But I don't want to play that mode because it's extremely weird and uninteresting.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
So, I went out to dinner with my wife tonight and had drinks for the first time in like forever.

I really didn't think I over did it but since my diagnosis I've been basically a teetotaler for the last four years, man it just all hit very hard the last 15 minutes or so. So, I apologize if I've been over the top with any of my posts this evening. Think I'm going to call it night.

• Haha
Reactions: henchman21

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
So, I went out to dinner with my wife tonight and had drinks for the first time in like forever.

I really didn't think I over did it but since my diagnosis I've been basically a teetotaler for the last four years, man it just all hit very hard the last 15 minutes or so. So, I apologize if I've been over the top with any of my posts this evening. Think I'm going to call it night.
Nah man, enjoy it!

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
I played through Shadow of War the last few weeks. I thoroughly enjoyed it, but the ending wasn't my favorite. Interesting twist though

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad