Miro Heiskanen is a playoffs performer : 0.75 ppg in 79 career playoffs games vs 0.60 ppg in 425 career regular season games

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
I can count the number of NHL players who are 0.15 points in the playoffs above their career regular season average on about 100 hands.

I am looking toward to the thread on Joel Kiviranta who is a staggering 0.23 ppg ahead of his regular season average.

Last edited:

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
I can count the number of NHL players who are 0.15 points in the playoffs above their career regular season average on about 100 hands.

I am looking toward to the thread on Joel Kiviranta who is a staggering 0.23 ppg ahead of his regular season average.

That's usually how very small numbers work. The percentual difference between 2 and 4 is a hell of a lot more than between 50 and 70, yet the latter is far more impressive if you put it in terms of point production in hockey. How many players can you count on your little hands who do this while being #1 or #2 Dmen on their teams?

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
That's usually how very small numbers work. The percentual difference between 2 and 4 is a hell of a lot more than between 50 and 70, yet the latter is far more impressive if you put it in terms of point production in hockey. How many players can you count on your little hands who do this while being #1 or #2 Dmen on their teams?

There are only so many players who fit this bill but plenty are well over their regular season production - Slavin (.11), Ekholm (.1), Toews (.09).

Heiskanen is 0.127 over, not .15.

.734 playoffs
.607 regular season

OP has his numbers wrong and this is not thread worthy.

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
There are only so many players who fit this bill but plenty are well over their regular season production - Slavin (.11), Ekholm (.1), Toews (.09).

Heiskanen is 0.127 over, not .15.

.734 playoffs
.607 regular season

OP has his numbers wrong and this is not thread worthy.
Incorrect numbers or not, celebrating how good Heiskanen's postseason career has been is definitely thread worthy

Among defenseman, he's 17th in PPG in the RS.

But he jumps to 6th best PPG in the playoffs. With only Karlsson, Makar, Fox, Hughes and Bouchard.

And the last 2 combined haven't even played as much PO games as Heiskanen.

Not to mention, this is the 2nd time in 6 PO appearances that Heiskanen has led his team in scoring. I don't have the stats, but I bet even among elite defenseman, it's not all too common.

Ofc, still lots of games left for that to change, but impressive nonetheless

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Yeah he's been great. Not just these playoffs, but overall.

Still though - Bouchard is the one I'm most impressed with. He's putting forth some insane numbers. 18 points ({5 goals, 3 GWG) in 11 games. This was after posting 17 points in 12 games last playoffs (again 2 GWG).

His 5 GWG the past 2 playoffs already put him 15th all-time for career playoff game winning goals for a defender. His 1.13 PPG is 2nd all-time behind Orr and ahead of Makar (only 39 games)

I know playing with McDavid + Draisaitl help - but he's been great too.

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
His 5 GWG the past 2 playoffs already put him 15th all-time for career playoff game winning goals for a defender. His 1.13 PPG is 2nd all-time behind Orr and ahead of Makar (only 39 games)

That's mind blowing to be honest. Love to see it!

That goes for a lot of players though. Makar for instance. Very few extremely productive Dmen does it as the only star player. Josi and Karlsson's probably been the two closest.

You 'Orns!
Feb 11, 2004
Mannahatta
You might expect smaller, less physical 1st pairing d-men, like Heiskanen and Fox, and to a certain degree even Makar (though his physical skills are otherworldly) to suffer in the playoffs.

That they're all fantastic playoff performers goes to show how great they really are.

(Fox is struggling these playoffs, numbers-wise, but it looks to me like he's playing through an injury. Every time he's in the playoffs, I feel his compete level steps up several levels.)

But this is a Heiskanen thread, I don't want to hijack it. He's one of my favorite players in the league. He is right up there in the upper-echelon of elite d-men.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
The fact that he's played 75 playoff games already is the most surprising part of the stat

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Yeah he's been great. Not just these playoffs, but overall.

Still though - Bouchard is the one I'm most impressed with. He's putting forth some insane numbers. 18 points ({5 goals, 3 GWG) in 11 games. This was after posting 17 points in 12 games last playoffs (again 2 GWG).

Miro’s beauty is that he controlls the game. He’s the engine of Dallas Stars and plays in every situation

Bouchard hasn’t entered that level of overall dominance

At 24 Heiskane could have 3 Conn Smythe worthy postseason runs under his belt

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Nothing new, just Miro playing at a Conn Smythe level again in the playoffs. Just gotta hope he doesn't get burnt out as the next series goes on cause he's played a ton

But, not a lot of people realize he leads the Stars in scoring right now. There's not a single dman I'd take in these playoffs over him and outside of Makar (it's debatable) there's probably no dman I'd take for a playoff run over him in the NHL.

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
Miro’s beauty is that he controlls the game. He’s the engine of Dallas Stars and plays in every situation

Bouchard hasn’t entered that level of overall dominance

At 24 Heiskane could have 3 Conn Smythe worthy postseason runs under his belt
I don't watch enough Dallas to compare them, but Bouch is playing awesome at both ends and is absolutely crucial to the Oilers breakouts.

He wins pucks, makes the right play (well he does have brainfarts like any player playing a higher-risk creative game) and scores more 5-on-5 than people realise.

Having said that, if the Oilers were to win the cup, Draisaitl is the clear favourite to win the Smythe over Bouch.

MacMacandBarbie

Dec 9, 2019
Guy just simply will never get his due credit. His defense and transition game is his most valuable asset. He almost always makes the right play and can perform in all situations.

Reactions: LT and Oak

Love

Feb 29, 2012
He always steps up in those big moments. What a talented player. Kind of reminds me of Vasili Podkolzin actually.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Please, a little respect, for I am Costanza, lord of the idiots.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad