Player Discussion Marner

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Check how many shots the Leafs got on net when they limited the other team 2 shots on goal.

The coach didn’t force them to play defense and force them to attack less. They just couldn’t create offense.
When you allow only 2 shots you must be sitting back.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
When you have an 11 million dollar player refusing to go into corners, refusing to go to the front of the net, refusing to take a hit to make the best play, refusing to battle... it's going to be hard to produce offense in the playoffs. Like the Sportsnet writer said after last years playoffs, with Marner playing as far as he was from the net how could Matthews produce any assists?

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
When your top players are easy to defend (minus Willy), it’s no wonder they can’t score. But you can keep believing it’s not the players fault.
I find it hard to believe all the players go into a funk every year. But they seem to do alright once they leave.

Well mgmt must think it was the coach. They must be pretty close to what was happening. Why fire the coach if it was the players.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I wouldn't say that was us in the Bos series.
But we were getting shots on net and spent more time in the Ozone. Just couldn’t score.

I find it hard to believe all the players go into a funk every year. But they seem to do alright once they leave.

Well mgmt must think it was the coach. They must be pretty close to what was happening. Why fire the coach if it was the players.
It could be both. It is never either or, Keefe was a problem and so were the players.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
But we were getting shots on net and spent more time in the Ozone. Just couldn’t score.
We controlled more and we're better, but didn't come close to "dominating". We blocked a lot of shots to get those low numbers

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Why is this discussion even open?

Yes, he probably is the easiest target to move, but let's not forget he wanted to be here, gave us some great memories and was a pretty samn good player.

The core 4 theory didn't work.. it's not all on him.

This idea of entitlement is crazy as everyone complaining sounds like an entitled kid that didn't get the present they were promised.

We move on..
People really need to stop throwing out this straw man. He's one of the most obvious people to blame for things not working out for sure, but I haven't seen anyone say it's all on him myself.

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
When you have an 11 million dollar player refusing to go into corners, refusing to go to the front of the net, refusing to take a hit to make the best play, refusing to battle... it's going to be hard to produce offense in the playoffs. Like the Sportsnet writer said after last years playoffs, with Marner playing as far as he was from the net how could Matthews produce any assists?

That's not even considering how this behaviour cascades down the lineup. You can't expect the rest of your team to be inspired by it.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
That's not even considering how this behaviour cascades down the lineup. You can't expect the rest of your team to be inspired by it.
100 freaking percent right. You look at that puke and say what a freaking wimp. We're screwed with him on the ice.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I've been wondering lately just how much a negative factor this might be. No way for us to know but I think it could be a pretty big negative for the collective psyche of the team.

In other news, Marner finished 17th in Selke voting after finishing 3rd last year. HE got one 1st place vote too, I wonder who that clown was? :laugh::laugh:

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Zach Hyman almost has more playoff goals just this year than Marner's career
We should start a poll to see whether people think Hyman or Marner is more worthy of being referred to as "super crazy elite". I know the OP would cast his vote for Marner, not so sure about the rest of the fan base. ;)

Reactions: Optimist

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Zach Hyman almost has more playoff goals just this year than Marner's career
Hyman 5 goals in 32 games with Leafs - 24 goals in 38 games with Edmonton. Could it be coaching and asssignments?

Kadri 3 goals 19 games Leafs, 16 goals 33 games Col., who knew?

Bertuzzi 5 goals 7 games Boston, next season 1 goal 7 games Leafs

Last edited:

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
This right here, is exactly it. Getting rid of Mitch wouldn't just be value added via trade, it would also be value added via subtraction of this poisonous locker room cancer.

No More Excuses

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Hyman 5 goals in 32 games with Leafs - 24 goals in 38 games with Edmonton. Could it be coaching and asssignments?
Absolutely. Leafs have to continue to roll out the same highest paid players on PP1 while Zak feasts on Oilers' PP. They said it is not about the core, but every year it is about the core and every year the core disappoints. Finally we will go in a different direction this summer.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Absolutely. Leafs have to continue to roll out the same highest paid players on PP1 while Zak feasts on Oilers' PP. They said it is not about the core, but every year it is about the core and every year the core disappoints. Finally we will go in a different direction this summer.
They needed a new coach, they got one. The players are fine if allowed to play their style. This fire coach, fire players, fire pres and fire GM mentality with the fans is hilarious. Just fire everybody every year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad