Player Discussion Marner

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
That’s the same question, really. Can a poorly built roster win?
If your car really isn’t working properly how do you fix it?
It takes new parts and money.

Even with a lousy defence, I would expect a team with 4 forwards making big dollars to at least lose 6-5 every game. They can barely score 2 goals. Marner drops back 10 feet in the playoffs and in game 7 if we give up a goal we’re done. That’s a horrible construction. The core needs to change now.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
During the regular season he let the players play their way, which was a mistake, during the playoffs he had them play the “playoff way” which was a bigger mistake. Keefe paid the price the change was made. Strange how players that can’t perform during the playoffs all of a sudden perform under new systems.
Your posts are better suited for the Fire Keefe thread, :wg: .. You've already gotten your wish there, and we're all 100% behind you there, :cheers:

I regards to Marner he hasn't had one bad playoffs he has had many of them and its is a big reason at his Cap Hit why the Leafs are out in round #1 each year. :surrender

In terms of the new coach Marner is among the most obvious players on the roster that doesn't fit his big, heavy, gritty style play we're expecting to see deployed, so the regular season matches playoff style hockey more then the night and day strategy Keefe deployed. I will agree that playing run and gun hockey during the season and then tight checking hard hitting dump and chase hockey come playoff time is a fools errand if one expected you could just flip a switch and suddenly change strategies.

So while you're in the right ballpark, with your position, you also need to think about what type of player personnel Leafs need to play successful dump and chase and neutral zone trap physical hockey to win the Cup. Its not only about the coach is also about player size, playing style and willingness to sacrifice for the sake of the team to move forward, Marner is a square peg in a round hole if you expect him to suddenly finish checks and win physical puck battles in a dump and chase type system. IMO.

Last edited:

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
That’s exactly why many were concerned when they signed these players. Self-inflicted wounds.
The worst part of the contracts that Dubas gave MM and AM were the NMC's. That restricted us so much that it defies logic that he would give them that kind of protection. Had they been offered normal overpaid contracts without NMC's....they would have been able to deal Marner like Dubois got dealt. Absolutely stupid contracts from Dubas with ZERO concessions for the organization.

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
Could it be not being afraid to go to the dirty areas and take a hit to score a goal?

:DD

That's a wild theory! It was the coach that told Mitch to avoid the front of the net at all cost!

I'm no fan of Keefe, but he talked about the lack of playoff goals Leafs score for years. I have a hard time pretending players are waiting for a coach to tell them it's playoffs. 8 years of seeing it on the ice was not enough for Mitch?

Also, he had almost exclusively O-zone starts this playoff, wtf does this assignment speculation even mean? :DD

I would understand if this rhetoric was towards JT, he got almost no O-zone starts compared to Mitch. I used to think Marner fans are not watching games, stats only, but now I'm puzzled.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I added Bertuzzi as well, 5 goals 7 games Boston, next season 1 goal 7 games Leafs. Obviously he was a playoff choker all along. lol!

It’s almost like, after all this time, there could also be systemic reasons for lack of production by our forwards beyond just that they don’t show up

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Your posts are better suited for the Fire Keefe thread, :wg: .. You've already gotten your wish there, and we're all 100% behind you there, :cheers:

I regards to Marner he hasn't had one bad playoffs he has had many of them and its is a big reason at his Cap Hit why the Leafs are out in round #1 each year. :surrender

In terms of the new coach Marner is among the most obvious players on the roster that doesn't fit his big, heavy, gritty style play we're expecting to see deployed, so the regular season matches playoff style hockey more then the night and day strategy Keefe deployed. I will agree that playing run and gun hockey during the season and then tight checking hard hitting dump and chase hockey come playoff time is a fools errand if one expected you could just flip a switch and suddenly change strategies.

So while you in the right ballpark, with your position, you also need to think about what type of player personnel Leafs need to play successful dump and chase and neutral zone trap physical hockey to win the Cup. Its not only about the coach is also about player size, playing style and willingness to sacrifice for the sake of the team to move forward, Marner is a square peg in a round hole if you expect him to suddenly finish checks and win physical puck battles in a dump and chase type system. IMO.
I agree with what you say here. Fans want a tougher team as they seem to think that is the only way to win. However are the Leafs making the correct decision? They have 4 or 5 extremely talented players that don’t play a bruising style. We hire a new coach that appears to also want a bruising style. So we hired a coach we want rather than one that can work with what we have.

Fine it will take awhile to swap out the players in the meantime we probably axe this new coach because our finesse players aren’t bruisers so they can’t win under his system. We had a coach who was inept and has already tried to make bruisers out of this bunch it won’t work. The vicious circle continues. lol!

No other team is built that way
Chances of it happening are slim indeed, probably won’t happen again for a long time. Lol

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018

So while you in the right ballpark, with your position, you also need to think about what type of player personnel Leafs need to play successful dump and chase and neutral zone trap physical hockey to win the Cup. Its not only about the coach is also about player size, playing style and willingness to sacrifice for the sake of the team to move forward, Marner is a square peg in a round hole if you expect him to suddenly finish checks and win physical puck battles in a dump and chase type system. IMO.
Mitch wants to get a new big contract so he knows he has to move on .. he already knows it is not occurring here in TO .. if he decides not to move his no trade then he will be forced to play in a dump and chase grinding system Berube employs and he will have zero success in it .. he will try carrying puck in over blue line and stop and find someone .. then he will get to bench and Berube will tear a strip down his back and he will walk out of team .. it is what has occurred a couple times in his past .. then he will ask to be traded .. bottom line he can't play a dump and chase system .. he does not have da speed and/or strength to play it .. he knows it .. da team knows it . da fans know it .. bottom line is it will occur at some point no matter what .. even if he is suspended without pay

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
Yeah for sure, making sure that the players are comfortable is job number one.

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

It puts a new light on Keefe. He failed to protect Mitch from mean reporters! You can't expect one to produce in this atmosphere!

To quote Mitch himself "we are treated like a gods here, to be honest with you".

One could argue, you can't make him more comfortable here.

Zero1

Nov 11, 2021
The worst part of the contracts that Dubas gave MM and AM were the NMC's. That restricted us so much that it defies logic that he would give them that kind of protection. Had they been offered normal overpaid contracts without NMC's....they would have been able to deal Marner like Dubois got dealt. Absolutely stupid contracts from Dubas with ZERO concessions for the organization.

I’m still in disbelief at those contracts for Matthews and Marner. They got the AAV, favourable term, maxed out signing bonuses, and the NMC. What the hell did Dubas negotiate?

rumman

Sep 10, 2008

Well said, so endth the lesson………

No other team is built that way
Can’t win with that type of cap allocation……..

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Hyman 5 goals in 32 games with Leafs - 24 goals in 38 games with Edmonton. Could it be coaching and asssignments?

Kadri 3 goals 19 games Leafs, 16 goals 33 games Col., who knew?

Bertuzzi 5 goals 7 games Boston, next season 1 goal 7 games Leafs
Weren't Hyman and Kadri on lines with Marner through most of their playoff time with the Leafs ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad