Speculation: Fire Rob Blake Blow it Up Offseason Thread (update: Robitaille and Blake stay)

Jun 30, 2006
I wish he was more of a fighter. He'd win in a punch out because he has a ring on each hand.

Jokes aside, yeah. The office was probably on eggshells whenever he was interviewed. Between him and Sutter, they're mouths were like a box of chocolates. @Lt Dan
He was pretty animated in his last interview with Bob Miller, coffee with Bob. He was upset and not happy with the direction of the team. Clearly, the guys he expected to take over did not take over.

He was also grappling with the reality of guys like Mike Richard’s, Voynov, Stoll, Doughty were all embroiled in scandals. As a GM, he was in uncharted territory. He didn’t do everything perfectly and stepped on some land mines. It is a tough place to be in. Winning Stanley Cups and expecting to keep winning them.

I don’t know how we went from an experienced scout/GM guy with decades of experience to a couple of rookies that between Blake and Luc had 3 years of experience TOTAL in management for hockey ops. Blake had one year at the NHL offices before being AGM if I remember correctly.

Mind blowing. Now we have to sit through an incoherent, word salad speech about family and Christmas parties. What the f*** was that?

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
i don't buy it

if he's, let's say, telling hiller/blake "i'm not going to play on the 4th line" boom unconditional waivers for termination. cut out the cancer. coulda traded him for a bag of pucks at the deadline. hell in the 2nd half they could've just put him on the normal waiver wire, when his exemption ran out. why would anyone carry that level of malcontent and give him an NHL paycheck to practice and risk poisoning the locker room?

i think it's really, really f***ed up to publicly spin a guy who's not in the lineup as "not helping you". like yeah, no f***in shit he isn't. his play this season has OBVIOUSLY been because he's so deep in his own head he can barely hold his stick. he damn near broke his stick on the boards in a game against the DUCKS because he missed a shot..
I’m not throwing it all at AK and like you I don’t like the public comments as it should always be done in private; even if it contradicts the fans demands for information. However the situation with him not playing and being kept away from any interviews, I think, is at least in part being created by AK. I don’t ‘know’ that by any means but they certainly wanted AK to succeed, even if I don’t agree with how they handled his development.

So I think/guess that had he played the role of being a good soldier, trained well, kept his head down etc then he’d be more visible now and probably played more than he did. My guess is that there has been some sort of fall out behind the scenes. I may be very wrong on that and I hope not because I like Arty and he still has a lot of potential IMO. Unfortunately it looks like his time here is done.

As you say there may be some bigger issues with him being so deep in his head so hopefully if that’s the case he’s getting any needed support/help.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
I’m not throwing it all at AK and like you I don’t like the public comments as it should always be done in private; even if it contradicts the fans demands for information. However the situation with him not playing and being kept away from any interviews, I think, is at least in part being created by AK. I don’t ‘know’ that by any means but they certainly wanted AK to succeed, even if I don’t agree with how they handled his development.

So I think/guess that had he played the role of being a good soldier, trained well, kept his head down etc then he’d be more visible now and probably played more than he did. My guess is that there has been some sort of fall out behind the scenes. I may be very wrong on that and I hope not because I like Arty and he still has a lot of potential IMO. Unfortunately it looks like his time here is done.

As you say there may be some bigger issues with him being so deep in his head so hopefully if that’s the case he’s getting any needed support/help.
i do also think the lack of interviews is his/his agent's choice, right or wrong. i just don't understand why he's still here if his time here is done right? like why not just waive him? it seems logical to then assume that the rift is between him and coaches specifically, but blake comes out and says what he said and it kinda puts that idea down

sucks all around, now the kid has another negative/wasted year of development, the org didn't cut ties and potentially get something back for him, and we're going into the next season in effectively the same situation as last

David Lunch

Apr 11, 2018

There absolutely had to have been a behind the scenes fallout, because while Blake’s recent non-quote regarding Kaliyev has been the most curt public statement thus far, I’ve seen multiple clips from Todd and Jim when they were head coaches also giving vague, but quite blunt, negative and short comments about Kaliyev from the second half of the season and on. Only questions is how much are either sides culpable in whatever happened and whatever the reaction from that event was. No way is all of this awkwardness in discourse because of on-ice play.

David Lunch

Apr 11, 2018
1 day later and i'm still stunned at the delusion of being "right there" and "making progress". How are they acting like we just went to the conference finals and pushed a game 7 and that everything is fine and dandy.
They know they’re bullshitting. It’s just Baghdad Bob trying to squeeze out a few more moments of the illusion of normality to save their skin.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
i don't buy it

if he's, let's say, telling hiller/blake "i'm not going to play on the 4th line" boom unconditional waivers for termination. cut out the cancer. coulda traded him for a bag of pucks at the deadline. hell in the 2nd half they could've just put him on the normal waiver wire, when his exemption ran out. why would anyone carry that level of malcontent and give him an NHL paycheck to practice and risk poisoning the locker room?

i think it's really, really f***ed up to publicly spin a guy who's not in the lineup as "not helping you". like yeah, no f***in shit he isn't. his play this season has OBVIOUSLY been because he's so deep in his own head he can barely hold his stick. he damn near broke his stick on the boards in a game against the DUCKS because he missed a shot..
Mentioned it earlier this year and without any kind of confirmation I still think that it is an off-ice issue with Kaliyev. Not necessarily anything illicit, but could be something like a major introvert who ends up playing video games all night instead of being one of the boys. Maybe he responded poorly to the first couple scratches and sank in on himself. Who knows. But what WAS known is that several teams were cautious of drafting Kaliyev for some reason, but our team didn't share that same concerns.

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
I don’t know how we can say with any level of certainty that BLuc will finally be gone next year. Russell Morgan brought it up yesterday: in any other organization they would’ve been fired already. Their pull with ownership will still be there regardless of any on-ice results.

Luc obviously has no problem with the process this year as “anyone in the playoffs has a good chance to win” and “we’re right there”. What will actually change next year? A 4th loss to the Oilers? “We could’ve won every game if we got some bounces”. A playoff miss? “It’s hard to make the playoffs and we’re in that group of 20 or so teams that could’ve done some damage.” A lottery finish? “Our players are disappointed but off-years happen in the NHL. Just look at Colorado.”

These guys have the franchise by the balls. AEG seems like they’d rather deal with the devil they know than the one they don’t.
Well sure, anything can happen (hmm, where have i heard that mindset before???). If they can make the playoffs again next year, then AEG probably lets it continue on. But i'm expecting them to not make the playoffs next year. I'm also expecting the worm to have turned and the media to start actually seeing the rot and mounting negativity being heaped on Blake/etc. for all the failed moves & the clear trend down.

Seattle King

Aug 19, 2022
Blake should have to eat at least a five pound bag of dog shit for his epic fail in the 2019 draft.

Turcotte
Bjornfot
Kaliyev

All three are total busts, from a draft class that has yielded a better than average crop overall. Fagemo soon to join the list, already waived.
He cant draft, he cant trade, he cant develop.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Mentioned it earlier this year and without any kind of confirmation I still think that it is an off-ice issue with Kaliyev. Not necessarily anything illicit, but could be something like a major introvert who ends up playing video games all night instead of being one of the boys. Maybe he responded poorly to the first couple scratches and sank in on himself. Who knows. But what WAS known is that several teams were cautious of drafting Kaliyev for some reason, but our team didn't share that same concerns.
I remember reading he was a very awkward interview.

Reactions: Statto

SaltyElkHunter

I …. am…. The LA Kings!
Apr 24, 2019
Utah
Instead of scorched earth looks like we are just going to go down in flames!

There was a hit piece just hitting the entire organization like a piniata on NHLLive I saw on you tube this morning.

Blake is going to trade our first round pic at the draft, Luc has much more input than I imagined as well. You could see it yesterday. Blake being the mouth piece for explaining the shit show.

However, Luc was next level butthurt as shit that the moves were being questioned even lightly. You could tell he was taking it way too personal for someone who just “oversees the GM”!

Last edited:

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
1 day later and i'm still stunned at the delusion of being "right there" and "making progress". How are they acting like we just went to the conference finals and pushed a game 7 and that everything is fine and dandy.
Has this been really said or is this a rumor?

AnThGrt

Feb 13, 2005
Park City, UT
Blake should have to eat at least a five pound bag of dog shit for his epic fail in the 2019 draft.

Turcotte
Bjornfot
Kaliyev

All three are total busts, from a draft class that has yielded a better than average crop overall. Fagemo soon to join the list, already waived.
Pronman labeled the draft two years after as the best draft in Los Angeles Kings history. It was looking like such at that point. That is what is crazy about the entire situation. Do not think Blake drafted wrongly, rather we somehow SERIOUSLY screwed up their development

Reactions: tigermask48

chris kontos

Feb 28, 2023

Turcotte
Bjornfot
Kaliyev

Id like to expand the 5 pound bag of dogshit meal to the entire front office with a hearty helping of seconds fir luc robitaille a noted shiteater from way back

Reactions: Seattle King

BaileyFan

Jun 14, 2023

Turcotte
Bjornfot
Kaliyev

Jordan Spence is single-handedly propping up that draft for the regime. And he could be on his way out of town soon if Hoven is to be believed.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
He was pretty animated in his last interview with Bob Miller, coffee with Bob. He was upset and not happy with the direction of the team. Clearly, the guys he expected to take over did not take over.

He was also grappling with the reality of guys like Mike Richard’s, Voynov, Stoll, Doughty were all embroiled in scandals. As a GM, he was in uncharted territory. He didn’t do everything perfectly and stepped on some land mines. It is a tough place to be in. Winning Stanley Cups and expecting to keep winning them.

I don’t know how we went from an experienced scout/GM guy with decades of experience to a couple of rookies that between Blake and Luc had 3 years of experience TOTAL in management for hockey ops. Blake had one year at the NHL offices before being AGM if I remember correctly.

Mind blowing. Now we have to sit through an incoherent, word salad speech about family and Christmas parties. What the f*** was that?

Found the clip you were talking about. Lombardi is PISSED at the thought the Kings having a good season. Compare that with what we got yesterday

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup

Keep this name in mind: former King, NHL coach and current coach of Seattle’s AHL affiliate – Dan Bylsma.

Bylsma as the next potential coach, eh? Old boys’ club rearing its ugly head for a guy who, from what I recall, is universally despised by Penguins fans despite leading the team to a Cup. Might as well make the next several years even more comical if they’re already going to be a farce.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
was a BS presser

Jordan Spence is single-handedly propping up that draft for the regime. And he could be on his way out of town soon if Hoven is to be believed.
frick i hope not. Spence kept getting better and better as the season went on and was great in the playoffs IMO. I want to see him in a top 4 role.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad