EP40 Charging Penalty

Charging or no?

• Total voters

matsqq

Jan 3, 2011
It's like when people write to the insurance company :
the lamp post came from the left with very high speed and hit my car.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
There's a lot of rules lawyering going for something that is a clear as day infraction. You cannot jump prior to contact, it's dangerous for everyone involved. It's also not common, the common play is when feet leave the ice as a result of the collision. That's not happening here, easy penalty.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Again, jumping and having both skates off the ice before the hit.

That's charging, largely because there's not a better category for it. But it's still not allowed. They could introduce a "jump hit" category or something, but it wouldn't change the fact that this is a penalty, and that you aren't allowed to jump into a hit.

matsqq

Jan 3, 2011
Again, jumping and having both skates off the ice before the hit.

That's charging, largely because there's not a better category for it. But it's still not allowed. They could introduce a "jump hit" category or something, but it wouldn't change the fact that this is a penalty, and that you aren't allowed to jump into a hit.
In a court of Law :

Well, we can't find a rule that he broke, but it doesn't change the fact that he should have a penalty so we sentence him to 5 years in prison.
I guess we can invent a new law later.

New rule :
If a player is charging towards you in full speed it is not allowed to turn your back on that player and jump up in the air . Sounds rather silly to me ...

Last edited:
Reactions: bambamcam4ever

ijuka

May 14, 2016
In a court of Law :

Well, we can't find a rule that he broke, but it doesn't change the fact that he should have a penalty so we sentence him to 5 years in prison.
I guess we can invent a new law later.

New rule :
If a player is charging towards you in full speed it is not allowed to turn your back on that player and jump up in the air . Sounds rather silly to me ...
Again, jumping into a hit is forbidden. And you say that "we can't find a rule."

My point was that "charging" is not a good name for the action that Pettersson did. But that doesn't change the fact that it's against the rules, and covered by charging.

Read my post more carefully next time. Considering what I was saying, your entire post is completely meaningless and either shows that you're misinterpreting what I said, or trying to intentionally be misleading.

For charging in NHL's official rulebook of 23-24 it says this, direct quote:

A minor or major penalty shall be imposed on a player who skates, jumps into or charges an opponent in any manner.
Source: https://media.nhl.com/site/asset/public/ext/2023-24/2023-24Rulebook.pdf
Page 74 section 42.1.

"Jumps into," "in any manner."

That's the rule. That's the law.

Again, it's not a good fit for charging. But jumping into a hit is still forbidden. And has always been understood to be so.

Reactions: The Nuge

matsqq

Jan 3, 2011
Again, jumping into a hit is forbidden. And you say that "we can't find a rule."

My point was that "charging" is not a good name for the action that Pettersson did. But that doesn't change the fact that it's against the rules, and covered by charging.

Read my post more carefully next time. Considering what I was saying, your entire post is completely meaningless and either shows that you're misinterpreting what I said, or trying to intentionally be misleading.

For charging in NHL's official rulebook of 23-24 it says this, direct quote:

Source: https://media.nhl.com/site/asset/public/ext/2023-24/2023-24Rulebook.pdf
Page 74 section 42.1.

"Jumps into," "in any manner."

That's the rule. That's the law.

Again, it's not a good fit for charging. But jumping into a hit is still forbidden. And has always been understood to be so.
Clear ... as mud ;)

He didn't "jump into" and did not cover any distance, but if it works for you ...

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
"...as a result of distance traveled..."

Why are so many people ignoring the second paragraph?

The 1st sentence of the rule also literally says "...jumps into...an opponent in any manner..." With key emphasis on 'any manner'.

So it's vague and perhaps even conflicting.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Clear ... as mud ;)

He didn't "jump into" and did not cover any distance, but if it works for you ...
He anticipated the contact and jumped into it instead of standing his ground. He took a penalty instead of taking the hit. Still clear as it was when it happened. You can't leave your feet to throw a hit, reverse or otherwise.

Reactions: The Nuge

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
Has no baring at all from what I can see .
Kronwall is not standing still and jumping straight up as another player charges into him .

Jump I guess u can say isn't as egregious, but it's jumping back into the player.

These hits aren't comparables. Both players have their feet on the ice just before and at initial contact. Pettersson clearly jumps as if he's skipping a rope. Looked very contrived and weird, you don't see players do that.

He either mistimed it or more likely he got cold feet and scared of getting crushed on his reverse hit attempt and decided to leave his feet. Given his performance in the playoffs, i wouldn't doubt the latter.

Reactions: belair

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
It’s was a pretty soft call in a tight series, very different than 50/50 plays or obvious calls like high sticking.

It happens though refs are imperfect.

Last edited:

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Still can’t believe Nucks fans threw garbage on the ice in celebration of possible CTE issues due to EP40’s viscous charging.

JarvisFunk

Apr 1, 2012
Saskatoon
Lost in this entire argument is the one handed "slash" that put the Canucks on the powerplay to begin with wasn't a penalty either. But that wasn't a unique circumstance, so no one cares.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad