Diving should be a 5 minute major

dukeofjive

Jul 7, 2013
whistler b.c
I am pretty sure that a few years back the nhl claimed that they would start calling dives more, they did it for a few months then it went away

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
I understand the sentiment, but diving is a judgement call by the refs. Some that are called probably aren't, and some that aren't called probably are. Changing it to a major would result in it being called far less often, and if anything will increase the frequency with which it happens.

Good explanation.

I propose two things.

1) Calls involving diving should be one of the few reviewable issues.
2) At the end of the season the players vote on the 5 worst divers. Special rugs are then made with the players’ faces and their team logo. Those rugs are taken to every away game and are put in the concourse. The team has to deal with maintaining the rugs, transporting them, etc. Also probably gotta hire extra security, because this is an amazing idea but a) no way would it happen b) some drunk fan would projectile vomit on the thing first day, it’d increase fights- man, this is the greatest think I’ve thunk.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
I understand the sentiment, but diving is a judgement call by the refs. Some that are called probably aren't, and some that aren't called probably are. Changing it to a major would result in it being called far less often, and if anything will increase the frequency with which it happens.
Not if you tack a big fine onto it. We will see if they like handing over their paycheck when a suspension comes after that.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Not if you tack a big fine onto it. We will see if they like handing over their paycheck when a suspension comes after that.
The maximum fine is 5k per the CBA. Anything higher would need to be collectively bargained.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Should be a minor if contact happened but there was no call on the play and you embellished. (Puts you down a man)

Double minor if there was a penalty but you made it look worse trying to get a call. (Skate 4 a side)

Major if you made the whole thing up and nothing happened. (Gets your coach so mad at you for being a faker that you spend the rest of the year hustling per diem money on bus ride card games thinking about the time you made the Show and blew it by being a douche.)

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
The problem is some plays you can't tell if the player embellished or it was just physics.
I can tell you that Skinner embellishes all the time from the Sabres. yet somehow Peterka got called for the one of the worst embellishment calls I've ever seen against Detroit not too long ago.

Reactions: Darcy Tucker

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
In addition to what people said about the rule being dumb I don't understand how diving is an issue with toughness rather than integrity.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
So you're saying you never want anyone to call Diving? Because it's already difficult enough for NHL refs to do it in realtime and it's not a reviewable thing by refs (on their own). If you saddle a no-call vs. a 5 min major, the refs will just never call it.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Now everyone is worried about diving and wants to do something about it?

I f***in said YEARS ago that diving is the new meta in the NHL. Could have seen this coming from a mile away when the League let the Avs dive their way to a Cup.

The refs in this league are f***in stupid. If you ain’t diving to fool them, you aren’t doing everything you can to win in Bettman’s league. Simple as that. It’s not about honor of the players, it’s about the incompetence of the league officiating.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
So you're saying you never want anyone to call Diving? Because it's already difficult enough for NHL refs to do it in realtime and it's not a reviewable thing by refs (on their own). If you saddle a no-call vs. a 5 min major, the refs will just never call it.
In real-time refs can only call 2 minutes penalty. Upstairs can call 10 minute misconduct.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
I see fans complaining about a penalty being a dive when it is an obvious and blatant trip because it looks dramatic. Every team gets good and bad calls over the course of a season. Unless the refs could review it 5 minutes is too punitive. And there are enough reviews already.

Machinehead

Jiminy Crickets Let's Cut the Hubris
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
If a guy keeps committing a penalty against me and the refs are "letting 'em play," the next time he does it, I'm going down like somebody threw a grenade at me.

If you're not willing to cheat, you don't really wanna win.

khoss

Mar 21, 2014
the NFL has the ability to call down to the on field ref and say that there was no foul on a play. Same should be done in NHL

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
I disagree with 5 minutes but I do think Refs should call it a bit more. Some players are really going for dives and I'd rather not see that continue.

I would even before calling the dive and ignoring the foul itself.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
It should be called more and if a hook/trip/hold is being called, the dive should be a double minor. Players should be hammered for the embellishment, thats exactly why unsportsmanlike penalties exist.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Absolutely not. Refs f*** up that call plenty as is, missing obvious dives and calling players who legitimately get tripped up for dives. On one particularly bad occasion a number of years ago now, a Florida player football tackled a Cane- lept from behind, arms around the waist and hauled him down- and the Cane got called for diving.

Refs are insanely bad at getting diving calls right. When they call it, it's 50-50 at absolute best whether they get it right.

But why does it happen? Because refs usually refuse to call hooks and slashes unless somebody goes tumbling to the ice. If a penalty isn't glaringly obvious, they won't call it. So a lot of players make it glaringly obvious- but this all comes back to there being a legitimate penalty on the play. Fighting through and trying to continue the play and "playing the right way" is effectively penalized by the refusal of referees to actually enforce the rules. Play a clean game and you're at a disadvantage.

But here's my counterproposal- if there is an underlying penalty, embellishment cannot be called. If you want to punish players who dive when there's no underlying penalty, have at it. Somebody takes a leap when nobody's touching them, or actively skates into a guy to trip themselves up and draw a call, call diving, and sure, even make it a major or use supplemental discipline. But if you actually do hook or slash a guy you can't complain if he takes a leap. You can't complain if he chicken wings your stick. If a ref calls embellishment instead of the underlying penalty and upon video review there *is* an underlying penalty, the ref is docked a game's pay and has to skate the rest of the game in his jockstrap.

• Wow

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad