Player Discussion Alexis Lafreniere

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
This….. the rangers have a really good crop of players 26 and under…..
Shesty will probably be at his peak til he’s about 33…..
That’s when we saw Hank go down a notch…. Keeping sheaths workload light in the regular season is one of the most critical things this team can do…. Having quick this year was huge. When quick rides off into the sunset, replacing him is key.
Fox, miller, Schneider, Laf, chytil, Rempe, Edstrom,Cuylle,Jones, and perhaps even Lindgren (in a decreased role) and/or Kakko if he’s still here beyond next season….
That’s a solid spine of a team for a while…
Kreider, even in a 3rd line/1PP capacity should still be a productive player near the end of his deal.
Trochek is the vet presence we want to add more of, whether it be in UFA or via trade.
You should get some NHL ready reinforcements in the next 2-3 years

Imo Perrault is coming sure as Christmas, and he has the skill/talent to be an absolute needle mover on the wing.
Berard and Othmann should both develop into productive pain in the ass to play against middle 6 guys.

Chmelar and sykora will be solid bottom 6 guys…..

Imo, all of the above will absolutely become solid NHL contributors in some capacity, arriving within a 2-3 year timeline.

On D mancinni and Fortescue should compete for 3rd pairing spots in the same timeline.

That’s a who lot of good.

Other prospects such as Laba ,BMCB, etc could make and impact down the line, but I won’t go as far as labeling them for sure nhl players….

That’s a team that really only needs 1-2 big adds. Maybe 3 if you want to try to add another stud in the mix if one becomes available.

Panarin will likely finish his deal out here.
Kreider as well…

Moving Zibby kind of seems like an impossibility.
Say next year, if he’s on one of his hot streaks, many might not even want too….
Like it or not Zibby is a 70-90pt center who gives mostly solid 2 way play….
He’s just a guy that runs too hot/cold…
If we had Zibby from playoffs 2years ago, moving him probably would seem insane…..

I was in the camp that wanted to move him and trade for Eichel, even with the injury uncertainty. You were getting a proven 90-100pt center that only cost 1.5 more and was 4-5 years zibbys younger….
A 1-2 punch of Eichel/Laf with Perrault on the way right now would be pretty devastating…
Bad news is we didn’t do it. Who cares if we had to add Kakko in the deal. It would have locked down 1C for the next half decade at least.

Good news is we’re are going to get another shot. McDavid, Drai contracts coming Due when Panarin s is done… next offseason looks to have some promising UFAs, there will also be high end talent available in trade as there almost always is…
Keep stocking ammunition for the big one….. keep drafting well in later rounds.

Keep the team competitive, which they should be with what is already in place, it breeds a winning atmosphere for upcoming youth and makes they better….
Add Key vets for cheap. Not just any vets. Do your homework. Guys like goodie, Gus, even wheeler was a good add for the price. etc. proven winners that can help young guys develop and up their games when it matters.

We have a lot in place already to have future success. Once Panarin/Trouba contracts gone, that’s going to be the time….. big UFA or big trade to really put this team into the next level
Good post. I keep thinking this has to be the year due to Zib and Panarin being at the end of their primes, but the team can actually reach another level after Zib and Panarin are off it.

Not sure how we get rid of Zib's contract though.

And for the record, I think Zib has had a solid 1st and 2nd round and I love watching him play. I think he can turn it on tonight. I still have faith in him.

Reactions: noncents

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Well hold on... I don't think you get rid of Fox or Igor. You build around Laf, yes, but those two are two of the best players of their respective positions. Laf, Igor, and Fox, are the future of the franchise.
I agree that they're the best players. But if we're rebuilding, there's a very good chance that Laf wiil be 27+ by the time we're competitive, which would put Igor at 32-33 and Fox at 30, at which point they'll be declining or about to decline. Why wait until then? Seems like we're forgoing higher picks as part of the rebuild. Value maximization is my angle.

Will it happen? No? This is ultimately a business: bums in seats at the highest possible price for the most number of games is the priority. That's more attainable with a consistent playoff team that never wins the Cup than a rebuilding team that eventually becomes a dynasty.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
This….. the rangers have a really good crop of players 26 and under…..
Shesty will probably be at his peak til he’s about 33…..
That’s when we saw Hank go down a notch…. Keeping sheaths workload light in the regular season is one of the most critical things this team can do…. Having quick this year was huge. When quick rides off into the sunset, replacing him is key.
Fox, miller, Schneider, Laf, chytil, Rempe, Edstrom,Cuylle,Jones, and perhaps even Lindgren (in a decreased role) and/or Kakko if he’s still here beyond next season….
That’s a solid spine of a team for a while…
Kreider, even in a 3rd line/1PP capacity should still be a productive player near the end of his deal.
Trochek is the vet presence we want to add more of, whether it be in UFA or via trade.
You should get some NHL ready reinforcements in the next 2-3 years

Imo Perrault is coming sure as Christmas, and he has the skill/talent to be an absolute needle mover on the wing.
Berard and Othmann should both develop into productive pain in the ass to play against middle 6 guys.

Chmelar and sykora will be solid bottom 6 guys…..

Imo, all of the above will absolutely become solid NHL contributors in some capacity, arriving within a 2-3 year timeline.

On D mancinni and Fortescue should compete for 3rd pairing spots in the same timeline.

That’s a who lot of good.

Other prospects such as Laba ,BMCB, etc could make and impact down the line, but I won’t go as far as labeling them for sure nhl players….

That’s a team that really only needs 1-2 big adds. Maybe 3 if you want to try to add another stud in the mix if one becomes available.

Panarin will likely finish his deal out here.
Kreider as well…

Moving Zibby kind of seems like an impossibility.
Say next year, if he’s on one of his hot streaks, many might not even want too….
Like it or not Zibby is a 70-90pt center who gives mostly solid 2 way play….
He’s just a guy that runs too hot/cold…
If we had Zibby from playoffs 2years ago, moving him probably would seem insane…..

I was in the camp that wanted to move him and trade for Eichel, even with the injury uncertainty. You were getting a proven 90-100pt center that only cost 1.5 more and was 4-5 years zibbys younger….
A 1-2 punch of Eichel/Laf with Perrault on the way right now would be pretty devastating…
Bad news is we didn’t do it. Who cares if we had to add Kakko in the deal. It would have locked down 1C for the next half decade at least.

Good news is we’re are going to get another shot. McDavid, Drai contracts coming Due when Panarin s is done… next offseason looks to have some promising UFAs, there will also be high end talent available in trade as there almost always is…
Keep stocking ammunition for the big one….. keep drafting well in later rounds.

Keep the team competitive, which they should be with what is already in place, it breeds a winning atmosphere for upcoming youth and makes they better….
Add Key vets for cheap. Not just any vets. Do your homework. Guys like goodie, Gus, even wheeler was a good add for the price. etc. proven winners that can help young guys develop and up their games when it matters.

We have a lot in place already to have future success. Once Panarin/Trouba contracts gone, that’s going to be the time….. big UFA or big trade to really put this team into the next level
Great post.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I agree that they're the best players. But if we're rebuilding, there's a very good chance that Laf wiil be 27+ by the time we're competitive, which would put Igor at 32-33 and Fox at 30, at which point they'll be declining or about to decline. Why wait until then? Seems like we're forgoing higher picks as part of the rebuild. Value maximization is my angle.

Will it happen? No? This is ultimately a business: bums in seats at the highest possible price for the most number of games is the priority. That's more attainable with a consistent playoff team that never wins the Cup than a rebuilding team that eventually becomes a dynasty.

Yes let's trade our best players so that one day we might draft another Kakko.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
What's the Rangers record for goals in a postseason? I'm sure it's more than 8 but it's very impressive.
Screenshot 2024-05-31 at 3.07.11 PM.png

He's currently only 2nd to Messier for even-strength goals. One more to tie in 8 less games and a lot less ice time

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Laf, Trocheck and Shesty have been our best three players through the ENTIRETY of the playoffs. All three, and Goodrow, have elevated their games. Fox is hurt, and nobody else has really stepped up… at least not in THIS SERIES.
It shows the lack of effort, heart and grit that Mika and Panarin doesn't have which is needed for playoff hockey. These players are rjust egular season players that disappears when it matters in the playoffs. They are not players that you win with especially if they don't have the will needed to get it done. Soft players go nowhere in the playoffs

Reactions: deathb4disco

deathb4disco

Oct 19, 2010
Flowery Branch GA
Any chance that Laf moves to the middle next season? It was rumored at the draft he could make the move.
Mess was a wing earlier in his career and with most of our prospects being wingers....
Either way he looks like the #1 pick that we drafted hope to watch him on this team for a long time

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
It shows the lack of effort, heart and grit that Mika and Panarin doesn't have which is needed for playoff hockey. These players are rjust egular season players that disappears when it matters in the playoffs. They are not players that you win with especially if they don't have the will needed to get it done. Soft players go nowhere in the playoffs
The first two rounds they were fine. I think both Panarin and Zibs are trying but have been varying levels of ineffective. Honestly FL have been on Panarin like glue. The bottom line though is that they really haven’t risen to this challenge.

3rd Guy High

Feb 17, 2010
Any chance that Laf moves to the middle next season? It was rumored at the draft he could make the move.
Mess was a wing earlier in his career and with most of our prospects being wingers....
Either way he looks like the #1 pick that we drafted hope to watch him on this team for a long time
Would like to see it tried at least. He’s OK in the D zone but loves to lug the puck up ice

Reactions: deathb4disco

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
The first two rounds they were fine. I think both Panarin and Zibs are trying but have been varying levels of ineffective. Honestly FL have been on Panarin like glue. The bottom line though is that they really haven’t risen to this challenge.

The excuses for Panarin need to stop.

I’ve seen him battle and create, I’ve seen him do that in this series.

It hasn’t been there enough. 4th in league scoring to basically 4th in playoff scoring on his own team isn’t good enough. He doesn’t have the “line mates suck” excuse this time either, they’ve been way better than he has and no it’s not because he’s opening space for them by getting stuffed- him getting stuffed usually just kills anything they can potentially get going.

You do have instances like last game where he would have had a tap in but Lindgren decided to try to throw a puck through a defender for a shot that would have been easily stopped but even those instances have been few and far between.

Reactions: Atax

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
It's time to put him in the drivers seat. He was their best postseason player. Him and Trocheck did a lot of heavy lifting.

This is a 20 minute a night player. He can make an impact and is just scraping his potential. His physical play is a bonus to this now.

He's earned the right to come in for next season as their ace. PP1 and 1st line ES ice time. He his every marker for the season and then some. A superstar in the making.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Rythashocka

Mar 21, 2007
Not the result wanted obviously but this kid looked exceptional against a tough opponent and the playoffs as a whole. Come in next season with that swagger and some pp1 time and he's hitting 65 +.

Sometimes these losses are what's needed to move forward. The boys will be back with Laf leading the way. A lot to be proud of.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad